It’s still not possible to get together in watering holes with my “music trivia pardner” Kim, so as of late, we’re doing the next best thing – meeting in virtual trivia games and putting our heads together on questions about music! Usually we are pretty hit or miss in our attempts, but we managed to get second place on a recent music trivia night about one-hit wonders. We were pretty excited about that! Second place? We’ll take it (sounds much sexier coming out of the mouth of Eliza Dushkhu in Bring it On). Now that some of you might be thinking about Eliza Dushku in a cheerleading outfit, how about a distraction?
Be forewarned, some of these questions proved to be rough for the teams playing…lower scores all around heading into the final.
1. 1990s – What band’s only top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart is the 1997 single “All For You”?
2. Band Names -“The 1995 single “How Bizarre” is the only charting single in the U.S. by OMC. What does the “M” in OMC stand for? Miss…
3. 2000s -“What 2005 single in described by the singer in the following quote?
“It was about seeing my ex-girlfriend on the Underground in London with her new man, who I didn’t know existed. She and I caught eyes and lived a lifetime in that moment but didn’t do anything about it and haven’t seen each other since.” Nope, couldn’t think of the right song.
4. How it Starts – What 1982 single begins with a Celtic-style fiddle played over a drum beat and lyrics talking about someone named Johnny Ray? Yay finally a question I knew the answer for!
5. Spanish – In 2002, a Spanish pop group had their only hit on the Billboard Hot 100 with a song subtitled “Aserejé” (ah-seh-reh-HEY). Both that song and the group have what common household food item in their names? A Spanish singing group singing about that stuff some people slather on fries? Nope, we didn’t think of it either.
6. Locations – What three specific geographic locations are mentioned in the lyrics to “I’m Too Sexy” by Right Said Fred? Mike helped come up with these (he actually likes this ridiculous song)!
7. 1980s – The only top 40 single by Buckner & Garcia was what song released in late-1981? OK, clearly we’re getting burned on questions about this song far too much. Time for us to remember this damned song! 🙂
8. 1970s – What singer has been quoted as saying about his 1970 hit, “I’ve gotten letters from funeral directors telling me that it’s their second-most-requested song to play at memorial services, next to Danny Boy”? Nope, didn’t think of this.
9. Days – Daniel Powter had a #1 hit in the mid-2000s with a song about what kind of day? When I hear this song, my day starts getting “stabby,” LOL…
10. Rap – What 1995 single is the only Billboard Hot 100 hit by rapper Skee-Lo? Thank the gods Kim knew this…
Mystery- When It Charted
Within one, name the year in which each given one-hit wonder first hit the Billboard charts.
M1. “Don’t Worry Be Happy” – Bobby McFerrin
M2. “Mambo No. 5” – Lou Bega
M3. “My Sharona” – The Knack
M4. “Macarena” – Los del Río”
We aced this round, but on #4 we only hit it dead on because we didn’t agree on when exactly it came out. Kim thought my guess was a bit too late, in case her guess was too early, she split the difference which means we got it exactly right (boom)!
We were in second going into the final with 48 points. Low scoring game…
Final Song Appearances -In the late-1990s, due in large part to their school’s mascot, Mississippi State University became the first school to play what song at a sporting event?
Kim came up with the right guess right away, woot. Held onto our second place spot!
We may be teaming up on an upcoming “Number One Hits” music night. Stay tuned! As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Pac Man!
One thought on “Trivia Recap – One Hit Wonders – Virtual/Streaming – April 24, 2021”
sister hazel, millionaire, you’re beautiful, come on eileen, ketchup, milan/new york/japan; pac man fever, norman greenbaum, bad, i wish
1988, 1999, 1979, 1996
who let the dogs out