Most of the categories were fairly friendly for us in a Sporcle Live virtual game Wednesday, April 28. I mean – spiders, Geordi LaForge, Stephen King books, Winona Ryder movies and chess (the game, not the musical)? Still not enough to give us a “W,” to use Letterkenny hockey parlance, but we still had a nice time killing time trying to answer these questions anyway!
Here were the questions:
1. Landmarks – Howland Island, located about halfway between Hawaii and Australia, is home to a beacon named after what woman born in Kansas in 1897?
2. Kids’ TV – Who hosted the long-running PBS show Reading Rainbow?
3. Cities – What Southwest U.S. city is the most populous in the Mojave Desert? Michelle would have been a help in this question!
4. Chess – In chess, the en passant move can only be executed by which piece?
5. Spiders – What is the common nine-letter term for spiders in the family Theraphosidae? Mike the spider lover came up with this…
6. Web Sites – What comedy video website was founded in 2007 by Will Ferrell, among others? No clue, though we had heard of this site when the answer was revealed.
7. Books – What series of books by Stephen King includes volumes subtitled The Gunslinger, The Waste Lands, and Song of Susannah?
8. Directors – What 1994 film starring Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke marked the directorial debut of Ben Stiller, who also appears in the film? The scene with Winona Ryder wearing cutoff shorts while pumping gas is one of the hottest in cinematic history (if you are to believe Mike and yes, I tend to agree with him on this one)!
9. Musicians – During his lifetime, Johann Sebastian Bach was known for his proficiency playing what instrument? Miss, we picked harpsichord, which was probably his second most proficient instrument.
10. Athletes – Who broke the Major League Baseball record for career stolen bases in 1991, which was only about halfway through his 25-year career? Sports, ugh…not the right brains to answer this.
NERD POINT: Whose record did he break? Nope on this too.
Mystery – Swimsuit Models
In addition to Daniela Pestova, Cheryl Tiegs, and Christie Brinkley, name the four women who have appeared on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue at least three times.
We only managed to get two correct.
Final Category – Book Characters
Final: What pair of characters introduced in The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett inspired the names of the title characters in a 2006 novel by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan?
In the first book, the characters are a private investigator and his wife, and in the second book, they are a musician and the daughter of a music producer?
Nope, did not think of this.
As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Elle MacPherson (the queen of all swimsuit models)!