I live in Southeast Michigan, and my area is in kind of a “heat wave” right now. It’s supposed to be in the mid ’90s today, and at 8:30 a.m., it’s already 80 degrees in the house! Our central air is not working, so my husband and I have been trying to be “artful dodgers,” and be out of the house during the hottest parts of the day. Thankfully we live in a condo, and the side of our house that would receive full southern sun exposure would be the side where our neighbor Colleen lives. And she runs her A/C ALL the time. If it’s 72 degrees outside? Her air will be running! She lives on a slightly lower level than us, and her sump pump pretty much does all of the work, too. Good news about today is that even though it is supposed to be in the mid ’90s, there seems to be a breeze outside, which should take some of the edge off! Also, the humidity is fairly low at 55 percent…so bearable if we venture outside! Hot, still, humid days are the suck!
So how do you know when you’ve reached the level of “My God it’s so f—ing hot” and it’s not just a typical summer day? Here are some tells!
- You’ve draped a blanket/sheet over your leather recliner so you don’t stick to it
- Your beverage glass is sweating almost as much as you are
- You’re using ice packs/freezer pops as a means of cooling off
- You wait until the last possible second to “really” get showered and dressed to go out
- You turn into Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption during a downpour (this was pretty much my husband last night)
- Taking trips to the local library become more frequent
- You go to the basement to style and blow-dry your hair because it’s cooler down there (yes we actually have a bathroom in our basement though it’s really just used as an extension of the laundry room most of the time).
- If you use your hose to water the grass (or yourself ) outside the animals go f—ing nuts – insects, birds, etc…they act like they’re at the water park
- You move your home office to the basement to work
- Your in-house dress codes become a lot more “relaxed” than usual
Don’t like that I’m closing this blog with a picture of Homer Simpson in his “tightie whities?” Well, I’ll see if I can come up with something a little…different! Though it will not be a Victoria’s Secret-esque picture of a woman in lacy underthings (this will be more realistic…)
There. Ellen Ripley from Aliens in her skivvies. Now the blog can end with THIS image and not with Homer in his tightie whities! Better? 🙂