After playing a virtual game all about 1980s pop culture, we signed on for a “regular” Stump! virtual game. We finished in second with 67 points, and interestingly enough, our final question was about 1980s movies!
1) Organizations – What humanitarian organization was founded by Clara Barton in 1881?
2) Companies – In English, the “M” in BMW stands for “Motor.” What do either of the letters “B” or “W” stand for?
3) MTV – What animated MTV series that aired from 1997-2002 is a spin-off of Beavis and Butt-Head?
4) Games – What active tabletop game, invented in the 1920s by a fan of Tottenham Hotspur F.C., is commonly known by a name derived from German? Miss, but it seemed SO obvious when the answer was revealed.
Each answer will be a number. Those numbers will add up to 100.
M1) Number of times that Usain Bolt was the Olympic champion in the men’s 100-meter sprint
M2) Number in the title of a 1992 film in which Wesley Snipes delivers the line “Always bet on black”
M3) The sum of the digits in the title of Prince’s 1982 studio album
M4) Number of feet long of the duodenom, as implied by its name
Got all of these (that was rough)!
1) Composers – Known as the “Dean of American Composers,” who wrote the 20th-century works Billy the Kid, Appalachian Spring, and Fanfare for the Common Man? FB clue. Also, they left out his most popular work, which was used in Beef Council commercials. Remember? “Beef – it’s what’s for dinner?” It’s called “Rodeo,” if anyone wants to look up on Spotify.
2) Shapes – What is the nine-letter term for a quadrilateral with exactly one pair of parallel sides? Thank you Mike…
3) Novels – What rapper’s name fills the blank in the title of a 2008 Newbery Medal-winning novel by Jacqueline Woodson? Thank you Mike again (great guess)!
After _ and D Foster
4) Daylight – Which two months have marked the beginning and ending points of Daylight Saving Time in the United States since 2007? God Mike – can I thank you enough for your contributions to this game?
NERD POINT: Which U.S. state is the only one with NO areas that observe Daylight Saving Time?
Name the country that is the sovereign state to which each group of territories or constituent countries belongs.
M1) Aruba, Curaçao, and Sint Maarten (Constituent countries)
M2) Guadeloupe and Martinique
M3) Christmas Island and Norfolk Island
M4) Howland Island and Midway Atoll
Got all of these. Thankfully spelling helped provide essential clues.
Final Category – 1980s Movies
British actors John Gielgud and Ian Charleston are the two performers to both be credited in what two films that won the Academy Award for Best Picture in back-to-back years in the 1980s?
I don’t know how I remembered John Gielgud being in at least one of these, but I did (thank you brain)! As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Beavis and Butt-Head!