Just to ensure there is a good category mix, all of these categories mirror categories from a previous Sporcle Live game (or are very, very similar, with the exception of mystery rounds, which are at my discretion). So these aren’t questions involving things “only I would know,” LOL!
1. Money – Which Middle Eastern country uses currency called “riyal,” abbreviated SAR?
2. Stadiums – When completed later in 2020, SoFi Stadium will serve as the home field for two different “Big Four” teams. Name one of those teams – both for a bonus point.
3. Novels – What American author’s works include The Bluest Eye, Beloved and Song of Solomon?
4. TV Actors – Which Canadian actor was a regular on “Saturday Night Live” for eight seasons, a regular for the first four seasons of “News Radio” and was also a semi-regular on “The Simpsons?”
5. Liquor – A Negroni cocktail is made of three equal parts of three different types of alcoholic beverages. Name at least one of those – two or more for a bonus point.
6. 2010s Music – Frequent collaborator Pharrell Williams was a credited artist on the 2013 #2 single “Get Lucky” along with what electronic music duo?
7. Flags – What animal appears on the reverse side of the flag of the state of Oregon?
8. Fight Songs – What NCAA school’s fight song includes these lyrics:
On the banks of the Red Cedar,
There’s a school that’s known to all;
Its specialty is winning
9. Horror Movies – The sequel to what 2018 horror movie – which was supposed to be released in March, 2020 – is now scheduled to be released in September, 2020 – because of COVID-19? Stars in the original film were John Krasinski and Emily Blunt.
10. Vehicles – A pale yellow Oldsmobile Delta ’88 is featured prominently in a variety of films directed by which man? Some of those films include Spider-Man, the Evil Dead film series and the TV series “Ash Vs. the Evil Dead.”
Mystery – Current Events (this was a challenge since almost all of the news is virus-related…but I dug a bit for some other topics!)
M1 – The hand-written lyrics for which 1968 Beatles hit song recently sold for $910,000 at a New York auction?
M2 – Which former NFL quarterback died Sunday, April 12 in an Alabama car crash?
M3 – What type of food popular in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula will be the subject of a competition in Calumet, MI to determine which person makes them the best?
M4 – What vampire-centered comedy series will begin its second season this week on FX?
1. Cover Songs – The album “Van Halen II” released in 1979 includes a cover of what soul song – originally recorded by Betty Everett in 1963, covered by Swinging Blue Jeans in 1964 and covered again in 1974 by Linda Ronstadt?
2. Math – “Integral” and “differential” are branches of what specific category of mathematics?
3. Athletes – Which New Orleans Saints quarterback recently announced he would become an analyst for NBC Sports when he is done playing?
4. Video Games – What arcade game released in 1980 (pictured above) – and later on the Atari 2600 console – involved the player navigating a series of top-down, mazelike rooms containing armed robots? The game shares its name with a 2013 Eminem single that hit #2 on Hot R&B/Hip Hop charts.
5. Abbreviations – What do the letters SNAFU stand for?
6. Magazine Covers – What celebrity couple appeared on a 1981 cover of Rolling Stone – with one of those people posing nude? Bonus point for knowing who took the famous photo.
7. Disasters – Famously erupting in AD 79, Mount Vesuvius was located in what modern day country?
8. 2019 Movies – What word beginning with the letter “P” is in the subtitle of the third John Wick film released in 2019?
9. Paintings – What artist painted Guernica?
Sorry folks…no second mystery round today (that first one was difficult enough for me to come up with)!
Final Category – Actors
Which actor, born in 1935, had only five film credits before dying in 1978 – but is notable in that every single film he appeared in was also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture – with three of those films winning best picture. Name that actor…