We made our best ever showing in a very, very competitive Friday night virtual game hosted by a Boston-based host using the moniker “Epic.” In these shows, we have a chance to battle against some powerhouse “East Coast” teams based in Philly and Boston – and also our own state of MI. We never expect to do very well as a duo in this competitive pool, though this time around, we finished fourth out of all of the league teams playing (though technically we may have finished fifth). Either way, we’ll take it!
Here were our questions:
1) Mythology – In Greek mythology, what goddess with a four-letter name is the ancestral mother of life and the personification of Earth? Thank you trivia pardner Mike for knowing this, I certainly would not have known this…
2) Golf – After a long absence, in what year did golf return as part of the Summer Olympics? We had no idea, but made the right guess.
3) #1 Albums – In 2005, what singer released The Emancipation of Mimi, her first #1 album on the Billboard 200 chart since 1997? My trivia instincts told me that I knew who went by the nickname “Mimi.” Did we go with my instincts here? No! Miss.
4) World Geography – The Golden Triangle, an area centered around the confluence of the Ruak and Mekong Rivers, encompasses three Asian countries. Name two of those countries.
NERD POINT: Name all three.
Mike was all over this…
Mystery Round – Animal Quickfire – For this mystery round, your team can give four answers and can put them in any order you choose. You will receive two points for each correct answer.
Name four of Africa’s “Big Five” animals, which are growing increasingly vulnerable to endangerment in recent years due to poaching.
We only got two of the correct animals, talked ourselves out of at least one correct one. Meh, these things happen!
5) Celebrities – From 2002-2016, Gavin Rossdale of the band Bush was married to what fellow singer? I said, “I know this, go max points.” He said, “How do you know this?” I said, “I know some garbage stuff about celebrities.” Really? I don’t ask him how he knows the strange stuff he knows about! Speaking of, a space-based mystery round coming up (this was all him).
6) Film Quotes – What character says the line “Go ahead, make my day” in the 1983 film Sudden Impact?
7) Words – Chivalry, the informal code of conduct associated with medieval knighthood, gets its name, appropriately, from a Latin word for what animal? Came close to overthinking this, thankfully we did not.
Question Eight – What title character of a 1971 children’s book by Dr. Seuss “speaks for the trees” and opposes the Once-ler’s environmental destruction?
Got all of these (yay Mike, go you!)
We were in fifth going into the final. We went all in on the category of Hit Songs:
Final Question –
Earth, Wind & Fire has had seven songs reach the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100, including “Shining Star” at #1 and “After the Love Has Gone” at #2. Name two of the other five songs by Earth, Wind & Fire to peak at #10 or higher.
I LOVE it when they ask music finals about music I know about! Got this…standings unchanged.
As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Gwen Stefani!