We hadn’t planned on playing a virtual trivia game on a recent Wednesday evening. We even went as far as going to an actual live trivia spot in Milan, MI, only to learn that trivia was not to be on that evening! It was canceled for one night only. We enjoyed the opportunity to actually be existing outside of our house and enjoyed some drinks! Some hard cider, and a craft light beer, as it were!
On our way home, we decided we’d try to sign in for a virtual game, and we managed to sign in about 15 minutes or so before the game began. After having battled the final question, we were kind of grateful that we hadn’t made our re-entry the “live” trivia world on this night lest we be embarrassed by our performance! Turns out we’re not that knowledgeable about perky female “morning show” hosts. Though if they ever make a real “Morning Mimosa” show – like the one they showed on “American Dad” featuring drunken violent female hosts – we’d watch the f— out of that! Someday…someday!
Here were our questions:
1) Comics – What publication in the fictional city of Metropolis has employed Clark Kent, Lois Lane, and Jimmy Olsen, among others?
2) World Geography – Name one of the two northernmost countries on the continent of South America.
NERD POINT: Name both.
3) Phrases – What three-word phrase has been adopted by the feminist movement in the U.S. since it was first spoken by Mitch McConnell in 2017, referring to a Senate vote to require Elizabeth Warren to stop speaking during a confirmation hearing? Thank you Facebook host clue…
4) Olympians – At the most recent Summer Olympics in Tokyo, all three medalists in the women’s 100 meters—Elaine Thompson-Herah, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, and Shericka Jackson—represented what country? Miss.
Give the title of the film based on its year of release and the alternate title constructed of synonyms.
For example, if given “(1985) Return to a Time Beyond the Present,” you would answer, “Back to the Future.”
M1) (2012) Famine Contests
M2) (1986) Elite Pistol
M3) (2007) U.S.-born Racketeer
M4) (1994) Panthera
Got all of these.
5) TV Episodes – The first episode of the TV series Downton Abbey opens with the various members of the household hearing the news of what April 1912 event that made international headlines? Never watched this show, but darn it if we don’t know our history at least…
6) Clothing – Aiming to foster a sense of community and civic pride, the clothing and accessories line State Forty Eight is marketed to residents of which U.S. state?
7) Rock Songs – (AUDIO) What song in the following clip was named the #1 rock song of the decade of the 2000s by Billboard? This was a Nickelback song. Too lazy to rewrite this into a “words” question!
8) Books – What word completes the title of an influential strategy book by Sun Tzu dating to roughly the fifth century BCE?
The Art of _
I’ve read passages of this. It’s basically a “Take the path of least resistance” book. Better to avoid war than start it, in other words. But it’s a great read, and applies to all sorts of situations.
Mystery Two (visual)
We missed #3 and #4 (I think all teams missed the last one and most missed #3).
We were in third with 47 points going into the final. And we didn’t feel good about the category of “TV hosts” at all. We were positive that the host would NOT be Jimmy Kimmel/Adam Corolla – or Space Ghost! So, we wagered zero.
Eight women have served as a primary weekday host on the morning news and talk show Today since it debuted on NBC in 1952, including Deborah Norville and Ann Curry. Name three of the other six women, all of whom spent at least four years as a host.
Unsure where this put us in the standings at the end, though the web site says we finished third.
We’ll try to do the live trivia thing again next week! Weather permitting! We’re glad we at least had a chance to “scout out” the place we’re thinking of playing very, very occasionally to find the best seats. Though it’s gonna be tough to beat having the absolute BEST seats in the house when you play a virtual game! As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Barbara Walters! We’re sure you’ll have no problem with that!