Who says watching the movie Goodfellas won’t help you in a trivia game? We got a dreaded “airlines” question correct (which is a rare feat for our team) because of the airline heist in the movie. For trivia nerds, that was the biggest single robbery on American soil at the time (1978), resulting in the the theft of $5.8 million in cash and $875 million in jewelry.
Too bad we didn’t trust our instincts when we heard a certain singer’s voice, especially since he has a famous dad. We also couldn’t quite pull up enough gray matter for the final question about animated Pixar movies – you needed to know the difference between true Pixar movies and the Disney Pixar movies, a big nope to that for us.
Here were our questions:
1) Toys – What media franchise created by Hasbro was launched in the early 1980s with characters named Snuzzle, Butterscotch, Blue Belle, Minty, Blossom, and Cotton Candy?
2) Books – What member of the Georgia House of Representatives from 2007-2017 has released books titled Our Time Is Now and Minority Leader? Mike with the correct guess (not a lot of confidence).
3) Airlines – What airline is the largest in Germany, and the second-largest in all of Europe by passengers carried when combined with its subsidiaries? Did anyone else get this right just because of the movie Goodfellas? Or was that just us?
4) Cover Songs – Audio clue of a band whose singer has a famous dad performing a cover of David Bowie’s song “Heroes.” This is the most recent top 40 single on the Hot 100 Airplay chart by what band? I don’t know how much better I can translate an audio clue for you guys, hope you can figure it out!
Mystery One – NCAA Division I Basketball
We got none of these correct. We put in a guess for “Louisville” for every single one (hey this strategy has allowed us to get at least one right in past mystery rounds).
5) Card Games – Which of the following card games does NOT use a standard 52-card deck—cribbage, pinochle bridge, or gin rummy? Thank you FB host clue we saw before the game.
6) TV Characters – What NBC series features a character named Mark Brendanawicz, who appears in the first two seasons, after which he is never seen or mentioned again?
7) Scientists – Danish scientist Tycho Brahe, who lived primarily in the 16th century, is best known for his contributions to what field of science? Thank you to the other host providing this clue (though we didn’t need a lifeline here).
8) Candy – What brand, known for its fruit-flavored hard candies, was named by its founders to give the impression that it was a friendly Western company? Made right guess here (I LOVE the watermelon flavored ones – and the green apple flavors)!
Mystery Two – Female World Leaders
We missed #1 and #3.
We were in fifth going into the final with 40 points.
Final Category – Animated Movies
We wagered it all, because…why not? Did we regret wagering it all? Not really, we weren’t poised to win this game by wagering zero – or wagering it all.
Since the beginning of 2017, there have been five feature films released from Pixar Animation Studios that do NOT have a number in their titles. Name three of those five films.
We managed to get two of the correct films, not all three.
As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Jacob Dylan! We recognized your voice in that audio clue, but we misunderstood when we heard the clue “recent” in the question!