My husband and I – plus a “plus one” from across the country – joined forces on a virtual trivia game Friday night. We didn’t exactly wind up victorious, though moving up from fifth to fourth after getting the final question correct was somewhat victorious (at least for us)! Our standards are rather low these days,.
Questions laying us low were in the topics of restaurants, World Series (go figure, sportsball…), anime characters and companies. We aced the mystery round and the final.
Here were our questions:
1) Vehicles – What is the avian nickname of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, from which Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped onto the Moon? Mike hadn’t quite joined me downstairs for the game yet so I had to call him down to help with this one…isn’t that how it always works? When you’re not present to answer a question, that’s when you’ll be needed!
2) World Leaders – Serving from 2013-2017, Park Geun-hye was the first woman to be president of what country? The name was a big clue for us, but we didn’t go too high.
3) Films – The 2015 and 2016 films that won the Academy Award for Best Picture both have titles ending in what five letters?
4) Restaurants – When it first opened in 1953, the restaurant now known as Denny’s had a name referencing what food? I think all of the teams missed this one. We guessed pancakes.
5) World Series – Of the MLB franchises that have played in the World Series, which one has gone the longest without an appearance, having last made it in 1979? Nope, not our category.
6) Characters – Usagi Tsukino, Ami Mizuno, and Makoto Kino are among the protagonists in what manga series that has been adapted to television? This wasn’t our category either.
7) Top Tens – Name one of the two most recent top ten singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart by R.E.M., both of which were released in 1991. Nerd point: Name both. Got this for big plus the bonus. Yay for early 90s music! For the nerd point song, I asked my teammates, “What was that annoying super perky song they did?”
8) Flags -What country uses a tricolor flag of red, white, and black with the Eagle of Saladin in the middle?
9) Companies – What company, founded by Jeff Bezos in 2000, sent its first crewed mission into space in July 2021, using its New Shepherd launch vehicle? Miss. FOR SIX. Shame…
10) Treats -What treat first appeared with its name contracted in a 1938 publication aimed at summer camps?
For this mystery round, there are four answers, and they must be placed in the correct order. You will receive two points for each answer that is in the correct spot 1-4.
Place the following performers in order from youngest to oldest based on the age they were when they appeared in their first Steven Spielberg movie.
Made right guesses here, though we weren’t quite sure of the first two people.
We were in fifth with 51 points heading into the final. Our final category was:
Traditionally, Goodyear has named its airships, including Puritan, Mayflower, and Stars & Stripes, after winners of what competition?
Mike came up with right guess. Moved up to fourth.
Unsure when we’ll be playing next, we’re spending more nights at home lately, so…who knows? As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Matthew Mekka Lekka Hi Mekka Conna Hay!