There is no more humbling of an experience as a music lover than attempting to play a “finish the lyrics” themed virtual Sporcle Live game! Don’t expect too many questions about music YOU love, for one; but DO expect a lot of questions about music you’ve never heard, never heard of, and probably hate! That’s probably par for the course when attempting to do a question set about such a broad category.
Though we did a bit better in the “rock” version of this than we did in the “pop” version, we were just about ready to hang up our “name that tune” card by the time the Imagine Dragons mystery round hit us square in the face! You may have heard Led Zeppelin’s song “Whole Lotta Love,” and its parody version in this case was “Whole Lotta Nope!” It sounds much better coming out of Robert Plant…or maybe Weird Al Yankovic?
1. Blurred Lines -“Finish the lyrics from the following song by the Jimi Hendrix Experience.“Purple Haze” – “Purple haze all in my brain. Lately things, they don’t seem the same.” (7 words)” Picked the wrong set of seven lyrics, big miss…
2. Fun- Finish the lyrics from the following song by Paramore.“Ain’t It Fun” – “Where you’re from, you might be the one whos’ running things. Well, you could ring anybody’s bell and get what you want.” (7 words). Whole lotta nope.
3. Bowie – According to the lyrics of a 1975 #1 single by David Bowie, what “makes a man take things over,” “lets him loose, hard to swallow,” and “puts you there where things are hollow”? YAY I KNEW THIS ONE! A dearly departed trivia friend told me a few years ago that John Lennon co-wrote AND sang on this track, which I didn’t know before he told me that…
4. Keep Calm – Finish the lyrics from the following song by Panic! at the Disco.“High Hopes” – “Mama said, it’s uphill for oddities.” (6 words)
5. People – Who is the real-life person mentioned in these lyrics? Mott the Hoople and the Game of Life
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
(BLANK) in the wrestling match
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
6. Hold On – Finish the lyrics from the following song by Alabama Shakes.“Hold On” – “I don’t know where I’m gonna go, don’t know what I’m gonna do. There must be somebody up above sayin’” (9 words). Whole lotta nope. Is “Alabama Shakes” just another slang term for moonshine? Or its after effects?
7. Bands – What band released a song that first appeared on a 1969 album and opens with the lyrics, “Ooh, a storm is threatening my very life today”? Got this one!
8. Faith – Finish the lyrics from the following song by Creed.“With Arms Wide Open” – “Well, I just heard the news today. It seems my life is going to change.” (7 words) Got this one, too.
9. Japan – Finish the lyrics from the following song by Phoebe Bridgers.“Kyoto” – “Day off in Kyoto: Got bored at the temple. Looked around at the 7-Eleven” (10 words) Whole lotta nope.
10. Locations – According to the lyrics of a 1989 single by Guns N’ Roses, the grass is green and the girls are pretty in what location? We took this one home…
Finish the lyrics from each of the following songs by Imagine Dragons.
M1. “It’s Time” – “So this is where you fell, and I am left to sell” (10 words)
M2. “Machine” – “’Cause I’ve been wondering when you gonna see I’m not for sale. I’ve been questioning when you gonna see” (7 words)
M3. “On Top of the World” – “I’ve had the highest mountains. I’ve had the deepest rivers. You can have it all” (4 words)
M4. “Thunder” – “Just a young gun with a quick fuse” (6 words)I’m really not sure if we got ANY of these correct. I think Kimberly may have known one of them…
Final Category – 1990s Hits (please don’t be about Smashmouth or Barenaked Ladies, please don’t be about Smashmouth or Barenaked Ladies, please don’t be about Smashmouth or Barenaked Ladies…)!
In the 1995 song “Hand in My Pocket,” Alanis Morissette sings that she’s got one hand in her pocket and mentions five different things her other hand is doing.
Name three of those five things.Got this right, but only ended up in fourth. It’s like rain on your wedding day – who would’ve thought it figgered!
Maybe “Finish the Lyrics” is just a bit too specific of a category for us “general music knowledge” folks? We’ll see. As always, Go Pods, Sparty On, and stay classy, Keith Richards!