Note: Answers will be posted in the comments…later (trying to get out of the house, LOL)!
Three of us decided to try our wits on a question set all about ’90s pop culture Wednesday evening in a virtual game presented by Sporcle Live. We were probably a bit too old to be able to have any chance of being dominant! A couple of millennial teammates would’ve been very, very helpful – Evan would have been helpful on some of these (basically anyone born between the early 1980s and the late 1990s)! It was still a fun way to test our knowledge about questions all about the ’90s.
Here are the questions as presented to us:
1) TV Sisters – In a series that premiered in 1990, sisters Hilary and Ashley live with their father, mother, brother, and cousin in what neighborhood? Kim was all over this (I’ve never watched a single episode of this show…I know, I know…why do I even bother playing trivia games if I’ve never watched this show? 🙂
2) Sports Stars – Name two of the three NHL teams that Wayne Gretzky played for at any time during the 1990s. Kim’s husband Brent had the right guesses for two of these teams, but we mistakenly went with a team he played with up until the mid 1980s (that was my bad…how dare I miss a question about the patron saint of Canada)!
3) Video Games – Doctor Neo Cortex is the archnemesis of what title character introduced in a 1996 video game? Miss.
4) Non-Video Games – In the game of Pogs, what term is used for the heavy game piece often made of metal or thick plastic that players used to hit other pieces?
5)#1 Songs – In 1996, the song “One Sweet Day,” by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men topped the Billboard charts for 16 straight weeks. What single by Celine Dion broke its streak during the 17th week? Nice try Kim!!! MIss.
6) Animated Movies – Released in 1998, what film, which features several similarities to a Pixar film released the same year, was the first to be produced by DreamWorks Animation?
7) Commercials – “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” is the catchphrase originally registered as a trademark in 1992 for what product? I mentioned one company, but was outvoted. My guess was right, but meh…I wasn’t sure anyway.
8) Rappers – Before signing with Death Row Records in 1995, Tupac Shakur spent the early-90s touring as a roadie, backup dancer, and collaborator with what rap group led by Shock G? Nice try again Kim…
9) Computers – What digital multimedia encyclopedia was first published by Microsoft Corporation in 1993?
10) TV Movies – Casualties of Love: The Long Island Lolita Story is a 1993 TV movie documenting the relationship between what two people?
MYSTERY: For this mystery round, your team can give four answers and can put them in any order you choose. You will receive two points for each correct answer.
Of the 25 highest grossing films released in the 1990s, five of them are sequels. Name any four of those five films.
We got three of these right, we picked the wrong Batman film (balls)!
FINAL: The Grammys
In 1999, all five of the nominees for Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards were either woman solo artists or woman-led bands. Name three of the five women who provided the lead vocals on these albums.
Got it, but so did enough teams ahead of us. We did move up a couple of notches in the standings though. Woot?