Wow…All Signs Definitely Pointed to “No” For Our Camping Trip!

Sometimes when the universe speaks to you, it’s a good idea to listen!

Case in point – our camping trip that we planned to take last weekend. Our first “sign” was being greeted by a ranger in a ATV Friday morning telling us he didn’t have any record of us having a reservation to camp. Sure, we could have to moved to one of two other open sites, but we decided to “hit the road.” It was so muggy and warm that the thought of taking all of the crap out of the tent, shoving it loose into the car and walking the tent to another site (can you totally tell we’ve done this before) in addition to moving all of the the other assorted gear we’d already had unpacked to the other site?

We just said “No, we’ll leave.”

We actually inquired about open sites a bit later at Orchard Beach State Park in Manistee, MI. Nope, just like Mary and Joseph, there was no room at this “inn” for us. And we were too cheap-ass to pay the Friday night rates local motels in Manistee and Ludington were asking. We were willing to go $100 max (preferably $80 max) for a basic room (wifi, a/c, cable TV, no rats), but nope – $160 and up seemed to be the”going” rates – if places had any rooms at all.

Rewind to the summer of 2017, when we camped at Hoeft State Park in Rogers City, MI. While were setting up camp, the rains came. Not just any rain – but “No, you’re not camping tonight” rain. A ranger let us move our gear to a site on higher ground for the night, and we grudgingly got a room for the night (which cost about $100). The storm was so bad that freighters were GROUNDED for the night! If a big-ass ship as long as a football field ain’t going out in a storm, then we obviously had no business trying to tent camp in it, either. We were getting the “Gales of November…” in July.

Rewind a little further to 2009 – when we were camping at Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. My husband woke me a little before 7 a.m. and said “We’ve gotta get out of here.” Water was gushing under our tent – had it not been staked down, it very well could have floated away…we wound up staying in a motel in Lexington for the night and camping again the following night when the Kentucky rain decided to turn off the spigot.

My friend Janet just e-mailed me and informed me that Orchard Beach State Park in Manistee – was flooded -on the night we’d inquired about camping. Yet another “sign” from the universe telling us not to camp. Read more about that story here.

flooding

Yes, I’m a bit discouraged by all of this!  I’m very thankful we had a dry – and free – place to stay on Friday night…And we didn’t lose any power at home!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.