What do you get when you have a guy sitting in a bar drawing a methane-powered early 1800s colonial airship powered by galley slaves, someone doing their best imitation of Pam from the TV series “Archer” and someone saying that “Whomever decided that Dinobots should be a toy was a genius by combining two such popular kids’ toys?” Why…trivia night with the ‘Pods, of course! I’m hearing that my imitation of Pam was actually pretty…spot on (I’m not sure that’s a good thing or not…when you’ve lived in Michigan all of your life, it’s second nature to be able to mimic folks living from states next door, apparently)!
Pam is the Archer character with whom I most identify, though I also have a thing or two in common with Lana Kane (tall, have big hands).
As for the game? It was a good night to bet it all on the final questions! Sadly, we didn’t do that in game one – wagering just four points on the category of “TV Adaptations.” It’s a gamble, really…we wagered zero on the final category of Emmy Awards a couple of weeks ago – which essentially every team missed, but of COURSE we knew the answer to the TV adaptations question! We were in a tiebreaker for first in game two, but lost out on it by sending up someone who didn’t know about science – to answer a tiebreaker question about science (we didn’t know what category it would be, but might have gotten first had we sent up the actual scientist who plays on our team instead of me)! Sometimes that’s the way the trivia “cookie” crumbles, and as Tom Hanks said so eloquently in A League of Their Own:
We still remain in first in the overall standings at Sticks for the Monday games, though we finished in third for the night (woe is us for not wagering more confidently on the game one final). Maybe the subject of that final question has “cursed” us? 🙂
Apparently a couple of teams are “gunning” for us! One of whom is Peas Above Stick, which I’m calling a “spinoff” team (the players also play on another league team playing on a different night) and a team that usually brings 10 or so people to its games (I still haven’t figured out who they are). What did Rachel Dawes say to Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight that’s kind of relevant here? Bear with me…I’m in a “meme-a-riffic” mood today!
If other teams want to take us on, I say BRING IT! It’s good to keep us on our toes! Just feels like a weird role reversal, since we’re usually the ones going on the “attack!”
And the questions…
1. Organizations – What international humanitarian organization uses a flag that is the same as a Switzerland flag – except with the colors switched? 10
2. Word Leaders – From 1965 to 1986 Ferdinand Marcos served as president of what Asian island nation with much of that time as a dictator? 9
3. Logos – Since 2000, Verizon Wireless has used a logo that includes its name alongside what symbol? 8
4. Movie Vehicles (pssst…it wasn’t about Tom Cruise movies) – A white and yellow Volkswagen T2 Microbus is featured prominently in what 2006 Adacemy Award nominated film? 7
5.Book Covers – First published in 1981, what Shel Silverstein book has a cover that depicts a child whose head includes the top portion of a house? Definitely Gen X trivia fodder right there…6.
6. Formulas – What chemical compound has a formula that is identical to that of water except with an additional oxygen atom? 5
7. ’70s Music – When this category was read, Brad said, “That will be something Joel and I will probably know.” I said “Hey – I might know this one, too.”
If they were known by their first names, what English band primarily active in the ’70s would have been called Keith, Greg and Karl? Yup…this one was all me (sorry to prove you wrong, Brad)! 4.
8. Sitcoms – The TV sitcom Cougar Town originally aired for six seasons total on two different networks. Name one of those two networks, both for a bonus point. Got one but not both for 2.
9. Coaches – Who served as head coach for the New England Patriots from 1997 to 1999 between Parcells and Belichick? Miss for 1.
10. Mythology – Arachne turns into what in Greek mythology (this question is heavily abbreviated)? 3
Put the following fast food items in order as to when they made their debut at their restaurants.
Big Mac (McDonald’s), Whopper (Burger King), Curly Fries (Arby’s), Frosty (Wendy’s)
Only managed to put one in the correct order (no Happy Meals for us after the game).
Scores: Seven teams, scores 51 to 64 with Peas Above Stick in first. we were in second with 61.
Final category – TV Adaptations
TV is always a hit or miss category, so we wagered a conservative four points…
Zapp Brannigan on Futurama inquires about whether the ship captain Leela has a spanking regiment for her crew members…they tell him “No, she just makes us do work and stuff.”