Editor’s note: I am only including movies that have grossed more than 100 million at the U.S. box office…
What have been the biggest moneymaking movies of 2019 so far? Recently – and not surprisingly – Avengers: Endgame has been smashing box office records, and The Lion King (2019) is also “roaring” at the box office (no thank you, too much uncanny valley for my tastes).
What recent movie has been making piles of money that the character in the movie would probably light on fire because he’s chaotic neutral (or chaotic evil)? Joker! I haven’t seen this one yet, but this is a character whom has always been fascinating to me (evil characters/people are always fascinating to me). I was a huge fan of Heath Ledger’s take on the iconic Batman villain, so Joaquin Phoenix has some big shoes to fill!
A sequel to Zomebieland called Double Tap is…coming soon! I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit, so I’ll probably give that one a look!
Joaquin Phoenix as Joker.
Top Grossing Movies Domestic Box Office (2019)
Note: I am only listing movies that have grossed more than $100 million at the U.S. box office
Editor’s note: Box office numbers are taken from the Box Office Mojo web site…
- Avengers: Endgame, $858.3M
- The Lion King (2019), $543.3M
- Toy Story 4, $433.8M
- Captain Marvel, $426.8M
- Spider-Man: Far From Home, $390.5M
- Aladdin (2019), $355.5M
- Joker (2019), $304.2M
- It: Chapter Two, $211.3M
- Us, $175.0M
- Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, $173.8M
- John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, $171.0M
- How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, $158.2M
- The Secret Life Of Pets 2, $157.3M
- Pokemon Detective Pikachu, $144.1M
- Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, $140.8M
- Shazam!, $137.0M
- Aquaman, $136.0
- Dumbo, $114.7M
- Glass, $111.0M
- Godzilla – King of The Monsters, $110.5M
- The Upside, $108.2M
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, $105.2M
- Hustlers, $104.4M