Since October is a great time of year for horror stories, how about this one? A two-person trivia team, playing a virtual trivia game in their basement, wagers conservatively on a final question because the subject isn’t a comfortable one for them. So what happened? Horrors beyond your imagination! Despair, death, mayhem, walking skeletons, evil dolls that have magically come to life (seriously that movie trope needs to stop right the f— now – who’s with me)? Also Michael Myers needs to die and NOT COME BACK. Wait, what was I talking about again?
Oh yeah, I guess you’ll have to read on to see how our trivia horror story played out on this chilly October evening! BWA HA HA HA HA!
Here were our questions:
Round One –
1. (Voices) Elwood Edwards is best known as the voice of what internet provider, having recorded phrases including “Welcome” and “You’ve got mail”?
2. (Formulas) What is the formula for the chemical compound hydrogen peroxide?
3. (TV Episodes) What sitcom that aired from 1989-1998 has episodes titled “Farewell, My Laura,” “Good Cop, Bad Cop,” and “Stefan Returns?”
4. (Islands) What is the only Caribbean island with an extensive passenger and freight rail system, consisting of more than 2,500 miles of track? Our trivia host Abbey said that this particular country has a good stockpile of really old cars in excellent condition. Who says cigars are the only reason to visit this country? Wait, are we even allowed to visit this country? Did I just give away the answer? Maybe!
Mystery One –
Round Two –
5. (Tools) What type of special fabric scissors leave a zigzag pattern instead of a straight edge?
6. (Clothing) What hip-hop apparel company founded in 1992 has produced a variety of jerseys with the number “05” on them? I’m not much into hip-hop culture, but we made the right guess here. Strange magicks?
7. (Vocals) (AUDIO) The following clip is the vocal track to a 1979 song sung by what lead singer? Hint, spandex, teased blonde hair, solo career featuring various cover songs, the word “diamond.”
8. (Directors) Name one of the two films released in the U.S. in 2021 that were directed by Chloé Zhao, one of which won her the Academy Award for Best Director.
NERD POINT: Name both.
Usually I’m decent with this category, but apparently I don’t know much about Asian directors. Miss. Double miss.
Mystery Round Two –
We were in seventh going into the final with 43 points. If you don’t think this is scary enough of a horror, keep reading IF YOU DARE!
Final Category – Golf
Final Question: Name both the youngest and oldest players ever to win the Masters Tournament.
The youngest was 21 years old, the oldest was 46 years old, and their wins came 11 years apart.
Yes, the most horrifying of horrors happened. We wagered zero AND KNEW THE ANSWER! When you kids ask for a scary story to tell them before they go to bed, go ahead and read them this story!
Well, not all horror stories have a happy ending. Actually, most of them don’t!
Unsure when our next virtual game – or real-life game will happen, but as always, stay tuned, don’t touch that dial, and Go Pods – and stay classy, all of you killer dolls out there! You tired old tropes, you!
One thought on “Trivia Recap – Game # 726 – October 20, 2022 – Virtual Sporcle “Pub Quiz” Format”
round one – AOL, h2o2, family matters, cuba
round two – pinking, fubu, david lee roth, nodmandland/eternals,
mystery one – cool ranch, flamin hot, salsa verde, white cheddar
mystery two – orlando bloom, oksana baiul, octavia butler, odell belham sr
final – tiger woods/jack nicklaus