For the second time in about a week or so, we had one of “those” virtual trivia games – where we, like Andy DuFresne in Shawshank Redemption, crawl through a tunnel of shit (shitty questions for our knowledge base, as it were) only to come out clean on the other side (i.e. finish in first)! OK, OK, maybe it wasn’t quite THAT dramatic, and though we don’t have any posters of Rita Hayworth or Raquel Welch on the wall of our basement where we do most of our virtual games, we do have a sweet Lord of the Rings Return of the King poster! And we SWEAR there are no holes hiding behind that poster!
While we’re on the subject of Shawshank Redemption, did anyone else wonder how Andy managed to neatly put the poster back up after escaping through the hole he had painstakingly made with a rock hammer over a period of decades? He must’ve had some help on the inside, or…movie magic?
No, none of our questions were about this movie! We did have questions about fashion designers (we actually got correct, for a strange reason), spices, Spice Girls and diapers! Are you excited yet? Then read on to find out more!
1) Basketball – From 1983-2020, Spalding has been the official ball supplier to which of the “Big Four” pro sports leagues? And then I immediately thought about that idiot kid Spalding from Caddyshack. Wasn’t he the one who put the Baby Ruth candy bar in the pool, which everyone thought was shit? Have I mentioned shit too many times in this recap?
2) TV Series -What CBS series, which aired from 2002-2009 and stars Anthony LaPaglia, Poppy Montgomery, and Marianne Jean-Baptiste, focuses on the cases of a Missing Persons Unit of the FBI in New York City? Nope, miss. Curse our lack of doctor, cop, lawyer TV knowledge (even though we’re experts on Cop Rock…not really, LOL).
3) Remakes – “More than a toy… He’s your best friend” is the tagline used by what 2019 horror film that is a remake of a 1988 film of the same name?
+1 Point: Who is the voice of the toy in the remake?
Got this, but put the voice actor who played him in the first movies. Now that we know who voices him in the new movies, it ALMOST makes us want to watch!
4) Products -Little Snugglers and Little Movers are among the product lines offered by what brand of disposable diaper that was first introduced to the public in 1978? We were torn between the diaper brand mentioned by name when Hi from Raising Arizona holds up the store with panty hose on his head (which was correct) and another one with the slogan something like, “live and learn, then get (blank).” Yet another time that not being parents curses us in trivia 🙂
Mystery One – Visual
1) Fashion – What fashion designer and businesswoman, who launched her namesake company focusing on stylish but affordable apparel in 1976, later became the first woman to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company? I work in a place that sells clothing under this woman’s name and wow this happened to be right – usually we’re shit on fashion questions. Damn, I did it again!
2) Spices – Which of the following spices is generally considered to be the least expensive—cardamom, saffron, turmeric, or vanilla? Nope, miss.
3) Video Games – The original 1994 arcade version of what video game features two playable characters that are women—Michelle Chang and Nina Williams? Nope miss.
4) Reunions -In 2012, the Spice Girls performed in a special reunion in London as part of a ceremony for what event? We picked another event important that was important to the British Monarchy that occurred in the same year, but not the one we needed.
Sorry, I didn’t take notes on the second mystery round which was about scientific names of fruit (we missed almost all of them).
We were in almost (but not quite) last with 27 points going into the final.
FINAL QUESTION: What body of water was once the fourth-largest lake in the world, but has now mostly dried up due to the effects of a Soviet-era irrigation project?
What was once the lakebed is now a similarly named desert.
Glad Mike talked me out of the answer I thought about. But we regretted playing in a virtual game where you’re not allowed to do cross off answers, because if you change the second letter of the correct answer to “n” then it’s more funny (if you’re the mental age of 12 like us).
Well, that was fun! As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Louis Vuitton! Whomever you are! Do you put your name on handbags or something?
One thought on “Trivia Recap – (Game #597) – November 13, 2021 Virtual Stump!”
nba, without a trace, child’s play/mark hamill, huggies
liz claiborne, turmeric, tekken, summer olympics
louis vuitton, dairy queen, milton bradley, playstation
orange, pear, grape, apple
final – aral sea