Sometimes we learn from our past trivia mistakes – and even take steps to avoid making those mistakes again! Like that time three years ago or so when I was fed up about missing yet another final question about doctor/cop/lawyer shows, so I actually made an effort to learn the series that were created by the late Steven Bochko. No, I didn’t dive head first into the entire doctor/cop/lawyer genre, but would someone give me a participation trophy, please! Sorry, did I sound like a Millennial just now (JK, JK…)
And then there are questions about TV series produced by Shonda Rhimes. We had a trivia question back in 2016 about series produced by her which we missed.
From an October 6, 2016 game at the Corner Brewery:
Shonda Rhimes has been the executive producer for six shows broadcast on network television, but as of September 2016, only two have aired over 100 episodes.final trivia question from 2016
Name those two shows.
And nearly five years later, we flubbed yet another final question about Shonda Rhimes (read on to see that question). Am I going to dive head first into her series? Aw HELL no! Sorry, Shonda, it’s not you, it’s just that I’m not into doctor/cop/lawyer shows unless they’re spoofs/parodies. Or set in Victorian Toronto (Love Murdoch Mysteries)! Or done by David Lynch (love Twin Peaks)!
My mind goes to strange places when I try to guess what a place called “Shondaland” would be like. Theme park rides where kiddos get to see scenes of emergency medical procedures, hostage negotiations (or whatever Scandal was about), sexual trysts…popcorn provided!
1) Comic Books – Chameleon, Rhino, Scorpion, and Vulture are among the supervillains who made their debuts in comics featuring what Marvel superhero?
2) Horror – A ghostly antagonist named Samara Morgan and a cursed videotape are central to what 2002 horror film that has spawned multiple sequels?
3) Alcohol – What flavor of schnapps is Goldschläger, which is notable for containing flakes of real gold? My college roommate John LOVED this stuff. I never drank it…the gold flakes? Ewww…
4) Team Names – Athletic teams at the University of Virginia use the same team name as which NBA franchise? Strangely, we knew this (must be because of our friend Sam, who lives in Virginia now).
5) Flags – What country uses a flag that consists of a star and crescent moon on a dark green field beside a vertical white stripe?
NERD POINT: What is the capital of this country?
Nope and nope. Needed Brad to help us with this one.
6) Planets – Which planet has 27 known moons, most of which are named after characters in plays by William Shakespeare, including Titania, Oberon, and Miranda? I had a beer named for one of these moons earlier that evening!
7) Singers – In the 1990s, singer Mary Chapin Carpenter won five Grammy Awards in what genre? We were torn between two possibilities, picked the right one for low.
8) Gaming – What video game developed by Mojang Studios was purchased by Microsoft in 2014 for $2.5 billion? No idea.
9) Mayors – What U.S. city has a major airport partially named for two of its former mayors—one its longest-serving mayor and the other its first Black mayor? Nope, I think all teams missed this one.
10)Reality TV – What reality TV series takes its name from a symbolic character in George Orwell’s novel Nineteen Eighty-Four? Easy way to finish the round.
Mystery – Anagrams
Decipher the anagram to reveal the first and last names of a scientist who has earned a Nobel Prize in Chemistry or Physics.
M1. “Maurice Ire” (Chemistry – 1911)
M2. “Tiniest Enabler” (Physics – 1921)
M3. “Pin Lulu Gains” (Chemistry – 1954)
M4. “Hipster Egg” (Physics – 2013)
Missed the last one. We had 53 points going into the final, which put us pretty much near last place. Would the final question help redeem us? Nope!
Final Category- Recent TV
Name two of the three Shondaland-produced series that were on the air as of the 2020-21 television season.
If you bothered to read the opening commentary of this pointless blog, I think you know how we did on this question!
Our next game will be Wednesday (virtual). We’re hoping to be able to get some family members in on the fun! As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Vulture!
One thought on “Trivia Recap – August 30, 2021 – Virtual/Streaming”
spider-man, the ring, cinnamon, cavaliers, pakistan/islamabad, uranus, country, minecraft, atlanta, big brother
mystery – marie curie, albert einstein, linus pauling, peter higgs
final – grey’s anatomy, station 19, bridgerton