Sometimes in the competitive pub trivia world you wind up having players who used to be your competitors being the ones asking the questions (or vice versa)! Thursday night, we played a virtual trivia game with a Minneapolis based host named Jim H. – who used to play on a trivia team called “Pen 15” in Southeast MI. A couple of years later, he would become a trivia host in the area, and several years after that, he moved out of state. When the pandemic hit in early 2020, he was one of many trivia hosts making the switch to hosting virtual games. We usually, but not always, try to pick Michigan-based hosts when playing virtual games, though we also like to pick games hosted by a Cleveland-based host named Jill (she’s so perky)! Sometimes we really need that little dose of perky 🙂
As it turns out, the game we played Thursday night would be Jim’s last one on the mic! He said that he had too many travel plans to be able to commit to regular trivia hosting. Happy trails to him!
We ran into some technical difficulties near the end of the game after my trivia pardner Mike accidentally closed the window to the trivia game on the tablet – and couldn’t get back into the game! We signed in again with a different name and chatted a couple of answers to the host so all was well – though I was guilty of another technical difficulty when I accidentally chatted my guess for the final answer to EVERYONE – and not just the host (d’oh)! And it actually turned out to be correct. I guess I could say it’s a Spider-Man thing – everybody gets one!
As for the questions we missed, we flubbed a question about engines (tsk, tsk, Mike for overruling me on my correct guess, LOL), women’s basketball, reality TV and…reality TV again.
Here were our questions:
1) First Ladies – What former First Lady of the United States co-founded a namesake chemical dependency recovery hospital in California in 1982?
2) Academy Awards – Daniel Day-Lewis has been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor six times, including three wins. Name one of the three films for which he was nominated but did NOT win.
NERD POINT: Name two of three. We didn’t risk the bonus point because not getting both parts correct meant not getting ANY points (some hosts do that).
3) Bodies of Water – The Eastern Shore region of Maryland lies east of what body of water?
4) Latin – What two-word Latin term, which literally means “it does not follow,” refers to statements that don’t follow from their premises?
5) Engines – What device in an internal combustion engine mixes air with fuel? I immediately came up with the right guess (my daddy was a car guy and some of that rubbed off on me), but Mike said I didn’t sound confident enough. So we missed this 😦
6) Basketball -Who has been part of six Olympic gold medal-winning U.S. women’s basketball teams, including three as a player, two as an assistant coach, and one as head coach at the Summer Games in Tokyo in 2021? A whole lotta nope…
7) Bands – Dan Smith is the lead singer for what Grammy-nominated English band named after a French landmark? Strangely we made the right guess here after brainstorming such landmarks as The Louvre, Champs-Elysees, Eiffel Tower and French Stonehenge (which is not an actual landmark, but if it were, it would probably be made of cheese).
8) Cocktails – According to the International Bartenders Association, a Golden Dream cocktail consists of Galliano, triple sec, fresh cream, and what fourth ingredient? Thank you FB clues, which we still try to look at before games.
9) Reality TV – What TLC reality TV series that debuted in 2007 follows events at Kleinfeld Bridal in Manhattan? NOPE.
10) Math – Mystery Round – TV Plots
Name the TV series based on the description on IMDb.
M1. “The misadventures of a cantankerous junk dealer and his frustrated son.”
M2. “Sassy sitcom centering on a radio and television personality… focuses on his romantic relationship with girlfriend Gina, her best friend Pam and escapades with best friends Tommy and Cole.”
M3. “(Title character) moves back to his hometown of Seattle, where he lives with his father, and works as a radio psychiatrist.”
M4. “Aspiring fashion designers compete for a chance to break into the industry in this reality competition. Each week, a designer is eliminated from the competition after exhibiting their work in front of a judges’ panel.”
Missed 2 and 4. this put is at 11th with 55 points heading into the final (very competitive game).
Final Category – Movie Pairs
What two performers play the parents of a character named Annie in a 1991 film, and in a 1995 film, become the grandparents of a baby boy named George?
Totally wild guess on my part for this question, but we got it…
Unsure we might play again, possibly Saturday night. As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Martin Lawrence!