After having been without power for more than 24 hours, it was actually nice for us to spend an evening at home – even though we’d originally planned to go out Friday night instead. We’ve virtually given up on making actual plans to do much of anything anymore! Play it day by day instead? So we did our regular Friday night virtual trivia game, only because we didn’t know in advance whether our power would be back on or not, we didn’t have our normal trivia partner Michelle playing with us this time.
Not the best set of questions for us…but we soldiered through them anyway!
1) Highways – An early transcontinental highway, which was dedicated in 1913 and stretched from San Francisco to New York City, was named for which 19th century U.S. president? Got this on a guess, we had no idea this guy had a freeway system named for him.
2) Words – According to Merriam-Webster, the word vlog was first used in 2002 and is a combination of what two other words?
3) Games – The first sequel to the 1989 game SimCity has what number in its title? Miss.
4) Brothers – The third overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and the second overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft are brothers who share what last name? Miss.
5) SCIENCE – A similar property to malleability, what is the term for the measure of a material’s ability to be stretched under tensile stress? And our third miss in a row – reverse hat trick? Will we get any more questions right in this game?
6) 2000s Movies – In what 2004 film do the title characters pick up a hitchhiking Neil Patrick Harris, who is playing a fictionalized version of himself? Yay points!
7) Metal Bands – Guitarist Scott Ian is an original, and the longest-serving, member of what metal band that formed in New York City in 1981? LOL I was playing songs by this band on Spotify recently as a means of trying to cheer up a grumpy husband…
8) Reality TV – What Food Network series that aired ten seasons from 2006-2011 focused on Duff Goldman and the operations of Charm City Cakes?
NERD POINT: As its name suggests, Charm City Cakes is located in what city?
Weird when we get a reality TV question right – and also the bonus! I knew the bonus for a strange reason that has nothing to do with why it’s called “Charm City.”
9) Legislation – What do either of the letters “M” stand for in MMA, a piece of legislation signed into law in October 2018 that is associated with copyright law?
10) Snacks – James Dewar is credited with inventing what snack food in the 1930s, utilizing machines that made strawberry shortcakes while strawberries were out of season? Mike came up with this answer.
Mystery – Non-Olympic Cities
Name the country based on its most populous city that has never hosted a Summer or Winter Olympic Games.
M1 – Bergen
M2 – Thessaloniki
M3 – Banja Luka
M4 – Rotterdam
Final Question Category – Movie Casts
We’re typically 50/50 on categories like this, and this time, we had no chance of getting it right (neither of us had ever seen the movie or bothered to really read about it).
Name three of the four performers who were nominated for an Academy Award in acting for their roles in the 2008 film Doubt, none of whom won.
We got two correct people, couldn’t think of a third person. Finished in dead last!
As alwys, Go Pods, and stay classy, Harold and Kumar!