Memorial Weekend weather in Michigan goes (typically) one of three ways – obscenely hot (like it was in 2018), lovely, or too chilly/rainy. Or some combination thereof. It’s not unusual to pack winter coats, flip-flops and swimsuits for a Michigan camping trip!
For 2021, weather decided to be “chillly/rainy.” And since we were home anyway and the two of us were too tired to “go out,” we signed on for a virtual trivia game. It started off pretty well, but we flubbed way too many questions – or “torpedoed the game,” as my husband colorfully put it! 🙂
Here were the questions:
1. Ice Cream – A traditional Neapolitan ice cream in the United States typically contains what three flavors?
2. TV People – Fuzzy Door Productions is a company founded in 1998 by what TV producer, who has produced Family Guy, American Dad!, and The Orville, among others?
3. Planes – A Bell X-1 nicknamed Glamorous Glennis is a plane most closely associated with what pilot, who set a notable record with it in 1947?
4. Taglines – What 1979 film used the tagline, “In space, no one can hear you scream”?
5. Capitals – Winnipeg is the capital of which Canadian province? And thus commenced the torpedoeing of this game…Wayne Gretzky would be so disappointed in me!
6. First Ladies – Who was the first U.S. president to have a First Lady born outside of the U.S. or the preceding Thirteen Colonies? And torpedo number two…
7. Duets – Name both artists who performed on the 1998 duet “The Boy Is Mine,” which spent 13 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. And torpedo number three – why did I not pay attention to the gender word – and year? Yeah, I said I was a bit exhausted on this night – and my body’s exhaustion obviously trickled into my poor, poor brain!
8. NFL Teams – Name two of the three NFL franchises that have appeared in exactly eight Super Bowl games, second only to the New England Patriots’ eleven appearances.
NERD POINT: Name all three. We actually got ONE correct!
9. Galleries – What photographer has a gallery dedicated to his work in Yosemite National Park?
10. Policies – As of 2021, more than a dozen U.S. states have had a temporary period of time in which they eliminate what, often in conjunction with the back-to-school time period?
No torpedoes launched with these last two questions!
Mystery – Before and After (Oscar movies and songs edition):
Combine the two clues to form a single answer.
Answers may share a word, part of a word, or a syllable.
(For example, if I said “Capital of Utah AND 1991 Western comedy film starring Billy Crystal,” you would answer “Salt Lake City Slickers”)
M1. A 2018 film starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper AND a 1968 song by Steppenwolf
M2. A 2010 film starring Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake AND a 1981 song by Loverboy
M3. A 2010 film starring Mia Wasikowska and Johnny Depp AND a 1986 song by Genesis
M4. A 2012 film starring Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz AND a 1965 song by the Righteous Brothers
We got all of these right, but this only put us in second to last place with 47 points. Those torpedoes HURT!
Final Category – TV Actresses
Actress Valerie Bertinelli has appeared in more than 100 episodes of two different TV shows. Name those two shows, which debuted more than three decades apart.
We could only name one of those series (the older one), but we wagered zero, so we put our goofy answer of “Valerie Bert and Ernie’s Wild Kingdom” as our second guess. Anyone remember that “Family Guy” episode where Peter made fun of her name in this fashion? Anyone? Anyone?
Unsure when the next trivia contest for us will be, as always, Go Pods, and stay classy, the creepy handyman from “One Day at a Time!”