We gathered for a ’90s movies virtual trivia game Saturday night. We forgot all about an animated box office bomb from 1994, and were off in our guess about money making movies for the final. But we had fun – and isn’t that all that matters?
Movies trivia is a fun way to reminisce about movies we loved and maybe learn a bit more about movies we didn’t bother to see. Read on to learn more about that:
1. Stage Names – In what 1997 film directed by Paul Thomas Anderson does Mark Wahlberg play a character named Eddie Adams, who adopts the stage name Dirk Diggler? I think I remember reading that Burt Reynolds really regretted having been in this movie…
2. On the Wall – What actress/singer is on the poster on Andy’s prison cell wall that gets a rock thrown through it in The Shawshank Redemption? And we talked a bit about the differences between the original novella and the movie…
3. Voices – What 1994 animated film features the voices of Macaulay Culkin, Christopher Lloyd, Whoopi Goldberg, Patrick Stewart, and Leonard Nimoy? Nope, off our radar, miss.
4. Songs – What 1996 film starring the Muppets features songs titled “Something Better,” “Cabin Fever,” and “Boom Shakalaka”?
5. Actors – What is the highest grossing film at the domestic box office starring Ben Affleck that is NOT part of the DC Comics universe? Good guess…
6.Taglines – What 1999 film used the tagline “He charges $10 but he’s willing to negotiate?” I’m not sure if any of us wanted to admit to having actually seen this, but we remembered the answer, so that’s what’s most important, right?
7. Early Roles – In one of his early roles, who plays a character named Jack Kelly in the 1992 film Newsies?
8. Restaurants – Chotchkie’s is a fictional TGI Fridays-style restaurant that appears in what 1999 comedy film? Who doesn’t love this movie? It almost didn’t get made at all, had it not been for a well known actress from that one popular TV series who agreed to be in it…
9. Movie Pairs – Name the two women who star opposite each other as Noelle and Abby in the 1996 film The Truth About Cats & Dogs.
10. Soundtracks – The song “(Everything I Do) I Do It for You” by Bryan Adams was released on the soundtrack to what 1991 film? That movie did not age well IMHO…
Mystery – Quickfire
In addition to Meryl Streep, name the four women were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress multiple times in the 1990s.There was some discussion among the other players about whether that actress who was nominated for best actress for a 1990 film and a 1995 film (Music Box and Blue Sky, respectively), and the host ruled that this answer would not be accepted. She wasn’t the actress we guessed, but it did make me curious.
We only managed to get ONE actress correct in this round (ouch)! We were in third with 56 points going into the final playing under the name Weekend at Bernie’s 2 – He’s All that.
Final – Moneymaking Movies
Of the 25 highest-grossing films at the domestic box office that were released in the 1990s, five are sequels.
Name two of those sequels, each of which earned at least 180 million dollars.Note: Prequels are NOT sequels.
We picked the right franchise for one of our two answers, but not the right movie. No accounting for taste? The correct answer in the franchise was a hot mess with the wrong actor for Batman, imho (and no, I’m not talking about Nipple Suit Batman).
Oh well, can’t win ’em all? As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Macaulay Culkin!