A trivia player from the ‘Pods (me) and a trivia player from the team Sparty On (Kim) virtually put our heads together on music questions all about the ’80s Monday night. We missed only one question all night – but with three teams logging perfect scores before AND after the final – us missing that question for six points? Well, sweet dreams aren’t made of this! Who are YOU to disagree? We still teamed up pretty well on these – strangely enough, even though I’m not much into AC/DC, I still managed to remember a band member’s name from the group, probably because of my fascination with untimely deaths (especially those involving rock stars). Does anyone else scroll down to the “death” category when reading Wikipedia biographies of dead people – or is that just me? And who can name at least one rock star (not counting drummers in Spinal Tap) who died by choking on their own vomit?
1. Firsts – What 1983 song that reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 was the first single released in the U.S. by the Eurythmics?
2. Hip Hop – What hip hop group was founded in 1987 by musicians nicknamed “Black Thought” and “Questlove”? Our only miss of the game for 6 😦
3. Holiday Music – Led by singer Bob Geldof, the supergroup Band Aid recorded what arguably misguided holiday song in 1984 to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia?
4. New Singers – In 1980, Brian Johnson became the singer of AC/DC, replacing what man? Again, I don’t know why or how I remembered this guy’s name – and it’s not because of “spousemosis,” because when I asked my husband for a lifeline, he said “I don’t know people’s names.” OK dear, I’ll handle the question myself!
5. Sports People – Ty Cobb, Joe DiMaggio, and Willie Mays are all mentioned in the lyrics of what 1985 John Fogerty song?
6. Girl Groups – Anita, Ruth, Bonnie and June are the first names of women who were in what R&B group who had 13 Top 20 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, the last of which was in 1985?
7. Don’t Quit Your Day Job – What comedian released his first musical album in 1985, titled How Could It Be, which includes the top ten single “Party All the Time”?
8. Movie Songs – The 1983 single by Irene Cara that is partially titled “What a Feeling” is the title track to what film?
9. Colors – According to the title of a 1983 #1 single by New Order, what color is Monday?
10. Different Songs – What is the shared title of different songs released by Alphaville and Rod Stewart, in 1984 and 1988, respectively?
Mystery Place the following songs that ranked #1 on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 chart in the order in which they were released, beginning with the earliest.
“Walk Like an Egyptian”
“Every Breath You Take”
“When Doves Cry”
Got all of these.
Final At the original Live Aid concerts that took place in both London and Philadelphia, the setlists featured 58 performance time slots. What group or artist was the only hip-hop act to perform in one of those time slots?
Got it, but so did all four or five teams ahead of us. We’ll be back at the ’80s trivia again Wednesday when we tackle ’80s movies. As always, Go Pods, Sparty On, and stay classy, Jennifer Beals!