Well…we weren’t exactly playing the “Hero” Monday when we played a virtual trivia game where we missed a final question asking us to put Mariah Carey hit songs in order! If Kim and I had called our mamas to console us, perhaps they would both say “You’ll always be my baby.” Still not a bad game overall for “Just the Two of Us,” which described our team lineup – and was also a #2 hit by Grover Washington (pure babymaking music if you ask me). Does anyone else think of Austin Powers when they hear this song? Speaking of #2, that is where we were among the 15 teams playing heading into the final! We also felt a bit like “number two” for missing it 😦 Maybe “Someday” we’ll get one of these pesky final questions correct 🙂
We only missed one mystery round question and the final question. Shout out to Kim for being the “Hero” on a majority of these questions – though I had a chance to be heroic on a question about a German metal band (now I want to look for the songs on Spotify…I love the German language).
How about some questions?
1. Lyrics – What alternative rock band released a 1993 single that opens with the lyrics, “Today is the greatest day I’ve ever known?”
2. Hip-Hop – Naughty by Nature had their first top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with what 1991 single? When revealing the answer, the host said most teams were torn between a song we DIDN’T put down and the correct one, which caused poor Kim to agonize a bit…but we got it correct!
3. Bands – Formed in 1992, what American rock band has released 13 studio albums, six of which are self-titled and known by the color primarily found on each album cover?
4. Music in Movies – What song that appeared in the movie Armageddon was nominated for both an Academy Award for best original song – and a Razzie Award for worst original song?
5. Rewrites – What two words replace “Norma Jean” in the opening line of the 1997 rewritten version of “Candle in the Wind” by Elton John?
6. Albums – Sheryl Crow’s 1992 debut studio album was named for a “Music Club” that met on what night of the week to work on the album? I remember having a similar question a couple of years ago and I came up with the correct answer on a GUESS based on what night of the week might be reserved for activities more mundane than say, going to the bar. But I didn’t have to work too hard this time around…
7. Samples – What 1997 #1 hit prominently samples “Every Breath You Take?”
8. Duets – Name both artists who performed on the 1998 duet “The Boy is Mine,” which spent 13 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
9. Other Languages – What band released the 1997 single “Du Hast,” which reached #20 on the Mainstream Rock Songs chart, becoming the most successful German language song in the history of that chart? Finally Kim needed my help on an an answer (she’s pretty much a one-woman wrecking crew when it comes to ’90s music).
10. Debut Albums – What debut studio album by Creed produced several mainstream hits, including the title track? Took a minute, but got it…flawless regular round. Now for what you’ve all been waiting for – seeing where we went off the rails!
Mystery – Band Members
Five the first name of the band member who is missing from each group that was popular in the 1990s. The group’s name will not be given.
M1 – AJ, Nick, Kevin, and Brian
M2 – Tameka, LaTocha, Tamika and formerly Keisha and Tamera
M3 – Taylor and Zac
M4 – Melanie, Geri, Melanie and Victoria
Missed #2 (this one stumped quite a few teams).
Final Category – Mariah
Place the following 1990s #1 hits by Mariah Carey in the order in which they were released as singles. Always Be My Baby, Hero, Fantasy, Emotions.
Well, that was fun – especially seeing Kim’s daughters’ pet crawdaddy…and their puppy on the Zoom cameras! As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Baby Spice!