This trivia recap marks the very first time I’ve ever written a blog – on a laptop – outside! Maybe it’s the 800 milligrams of ibuprofen still kickin’, maybe I did just a bit too much loafing around on the couch yesterday…but this morning, when I saw how nice it was outside, I got out some of my camping gear and set up an “outdoor office!” ⇓
Once I adjusted the brightness settings on my laptop, it was a go! 🙂
My “three amigos” trivia trio (yes I know I’m double speaking here…or shall I say “triple speaking”) of me, my husband Mike and Brad played a virtual game Wednesday hosted by a host very familiar to us – who goes by the handle “Robear.” When he read my team name – Miskatonic University Fighting Cephalopods – he said, “It’s been a long time since I’ve said that name on the mic.” Funny…another local host – Paul M., whom is based in Livonia, MI – said something similar when we played a trivia game last Saturday! If you say my trivia team’s name three times while looking in a mirror Cthulhu will show up!
We did pretty well in the game, lucking out by getting a TV final question set far enough back in time to be in our collective old folks’ wheelhouse! We finished in first at the end of it, which is only the second time we’ve done so in virtual trivia. I gotta feeling that when we play the ’80s movies trivia Friday we might do quite well, too! I’ll have my brother playing with us in that game – he and I saw quite a lot of movies in the 1980s, many of them together. We both have fond memories of watching Godzilla movies in the local theater while my mom grocery shopped. We also saw quite a lot of movies together when he was dating a girl named Cindy. I guess my mom made me tag along so there wouldn’t be any hanky-panky or something? I honestly don’t know!
Special thanks to the host for wishing Mike and I a belated happy anniversary on the mic! That was…quite touching! We were both really bummed to have had our anniversary plans (staying in a rental cabin) canceled because of the stay at home order, so hearing someone simply wish us happy anniversary? Well, we were pretty warm and fuzzy (and not just because of the drinks)!
Speaking of drinks, I can’t say enough good things about the Liquid Vinyl Russian imperial stout made by Arbor Brewing Company Microbrewery! I’m not normally into stouts, unless it’s St. Patrick’s Day or I’m recovering from a cold, but this one…was just right for oral surgery recovery! Low carbonation, creamy/smooth body and…strong (10 percent ABV)! It was a sipper – I drank a “crowler” (slang term for take-out container holding 32 ounces) of it over the course of the evening, pouring just a little bit in each serving. I’ll definitely want to get some more of this beer for tonight!
Now how’s about some game questions?
1. TV Actresses – Actress Jane Krakowski has been credited in at least 45 different episodes of four different TV series. Name one of those four series.
2. Hit Songs – “Rock You Like a Hurricane” and “Forever Young” are songs that charted in the Billboard Hot 100 by artists from what European country? Thankfully we focused on the first song more than the second song, so we got this…
3. MVPS – Bob McAdoo is the only player to have won the NBA MVP Award while playing for the Braves in what Eastern U.S. city, which is no longer home to an NBA team? Debated a couple of options here, including the right city, but…miss.
4. Comedies – What 2013 comedy film features Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, Will Poulter and Emma Roberts as the title characters?
5. Books – The New Girl, The Surprise Party, The Overnight and Missing are the first four titles in what series of 55 novels originally published from 1989 to 1998 by R.L. Stine?
6. Dolls – What doll, with red yarn for hair and a triangle nose, was introduced in 1915 and gained success when sold alongside an accompanying book of stories in 1918?
7. Famous Pictures – In 2008, the Space History Division of the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum selected the top 50 photos in NASA history. What planet is in the image selected as the top picture?
8. Cities – Coronado, Chula Vista, La Mesa and Poway are suburbs of what major U.S. city? The right city was suggested, but rejected because “There aren’t any mesas there.” Oh really? 🙂 Miss.
9. Middle Names – What 20th century U.S. president had “Earl” as a middle name?
10. Holidays – In which month of the year is Flag Day celebrated in the U.S.?
M1 – Inducted in 1989 – Affectionately, Alydar and Black Gold
M2 – Inducted in 2014 0 Lita, Carlos Colón Sr. and Razor Ramo
M3 – Inducted in 2003 – Boris Spassky, Mikhail Tal and Tigran Petrosian
M4 – Inducted in 2017 – Danielle Goyette, Paul Kariya and Mark Recchi
Missed #4. I wanted to go with “bullfighting” for #2 but was overruled (thanks for checking me on that, guys)!
We were in first going into the final with ??? points? I wasn’t really keeping track.
Final Category – TV Settings
What sitcom, which aired original episodes from 1976 to 1983, shifted cities from its original Midwest setting to Burbank, CA beginning in the sixth season?
A bit of discussion, but Brad steered us in the right direction…
Finished in first! Just bragging rights, no prizes…no boost in standings.
Unsure if we’ll play again before Friday’s ’80s movies game or not. As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Lenny and Squiggy!