Just to ensure there is a good category mix, all of these categories mirror categories from a previous Sporcle Live game (or are very, very similar). So these aren’t questions involving things “only I would know,” LOL!
1. U.S. Cities – Lafayette, Lake Charles and Bossier City are among the 10 most populous cities in which southern U.S. state?
2. ’90s Movies – In what 1993 film would you hear this quote:
God, Arnie, you’re getting so big. Pretty soon I ain’t gonna be able to carry you no more.
3. Beef – What type of high-end beef comes from the Tajima strain of Japanese Black cattle, raised in Japan’s Hyōgo Prefecture according to rules set out by the (blank) Beef Marketing and Distribution Promotion Association?
4. Comics – What comic strip created by Lynn Johnston originally running from 1979 to 2008 centered on the activities of the Patterson family – which included characters such as Elly, John, Elizabeth, Michael and April?
5. Zodiac – Which of the 12 Chinese zodiac signs is the only one represented by a fantasy animal?
6. NBA Arenas – Which southern NBA team plays its home games in the Smoothie King Center?
7. Board Games – What board game released by Avalon Hill in 2004 involves players navigating through a creepy haunted mansion that the players get to build room by room?
8. Icy Treats – A root beer float is made from root beer and vanilla ice cream. What is the drink usually called when ginger ale (typically Vernor’s) and ice cream is used instead?
9. Streaming T.V. – What American drama web television miniseries streaming on Hulu is based on the 2017 novel of the same name by Celeste Ng? Its stars include Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington (both as mothers from different socioeconomic backgrounds), and is set in Shaker Heights, Ohio during the late 1990s? Hey Kim…you made me learn something!
10. Governors – Gavin Newsome, Jerry Brown and Arnold Schwarzenegger are among the three most recently elected governors of which U.S. state? Seriously, guys…this one is a GIMME! If you don’t know this one, I honestly don’t know what to tell ya!
Mystery – Princesses
Identify the fictional princesses below based on the following clues:
1. Played by Robin Wright in The Princess Bride
2. Nickname of Tiabeanie Mariabeanie de la Rochambeau Grunkwitz on “Disenchantment”
3 Played by Lucy Lawless on a mid-1990s TV series
4. Played by Natalie Portman in episodes I-III of the Star Wars film franchise
1. Movies Featuring Non-Human Primates – (OK, the real “category” here was ’70s movies, but this will be about a movie from the 1970s…I assure you)! – Which 1978 comedy film starred Clint Eastwood – in an uncharacteristic role – as Philo Beddoe, a trucker and brawler roaming the American West in search of a lost love while accompanied by his brother/manager, Orville, and his pet orangutan, Clyde? Bonus if you can name either this film’s 1980 sequel – or the TV series similar to this that ran from 1979 to 1981 on NBC.
2. Animated TV – What Fox animated series debuted in February, 2020 and features Amy Poehler in the starring title role?
3. Newspapers – Which California newspaper founded in 1863 – and still in circulation – was acquired by William Randolph Hearst’s father George as partial payment for a poker debt?
4. Rockets – American engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor is credited with creating and building the world’s first liquid-fueled rocket? Yes this is totally a Trivial Pursuit question all the way…
5. Country Music – What male artist topped both the Hot 100 charts and country charts in 1981 with the song “I Love a Rainy Night?” God I LOVED this song when it came out and even had the ’45 – forgive me, I wasn’t even 10 yet – and was going through what would be a very, very brief country music “phase!” I even liked “Elvira” and the Dolly Parton song “9 to 5.” Giddy-up, ba woom bop ba woom bop ba wow wow…
6. Cabinet Members – James Watt, who served under president Ronald Reagan, was in charge of what cabinet level department?
7. Africa – Name any one of the five modern day African countries that were originally Portuguese colonies. Bonus for naming two or more.
8. NHL Players – What former NHL defenseman was born in 1948 and played for both the Bruins and the Blackhawks during a career which ran from 1966 to 1978? His first professional contract was one of the first in professional ice hockey to be negotiated by an agent. Bet you know this, Brad…
9. Liquor – “Driest gin in town – ask any martini” was a slogan used by what liquor company?
10. Video Games – What multi-directional shooter arcade game released in 1983 by Williams Electronics was known for its high difficulty level and featured lines such as “I hunger, coward” and “Run, run, run” among others? Face it folks…I’m never going to be asking about “modern” video games in these trivia quizzes (pssst…I usually have Mike give me ideas for these questions). But it’s all fair because he is really stumped by a good number of the other questions!
Visual Mystery – Drinking Scenes in Movies
Identify the following movies based on images of characters in the film having some drinks. Anyone else miss going out to bars? Show of hands?
Final Category – European Countries
After the United States, name three of the next five most populous countries (all located in Europe) that are all members of NATO.