I read an article earlier today about the awfulness of “small talk.” You know… – “What do you think of the Cardinals’ draft picks, How about this weather, (groan)?” This article goes into some more details about it, and even offers some decent suggestions for starting conversations. I kind of like the “dominatrix” suggestion (LOL)! These suggestions are all fine and good, but this is essentially a “triviacentric blog!” First off, be sure to start conversations with other players AFTER they’ve handed in their answer slips – or during the break (deliberately distracting another player’s game is a party foul)! DON’T do it! Unless the trivia player is truly your sworn enemy!
What if the leads in As Good As It Gets were pub trivia players? Maybe they’d say something like this!
Conversation Starters For Pub Trivia Players
- What topics would be in your “dream” question set?
- What’s your trivial “Kryptonite” (trivia topic that you’re not strong in)? Keep in mind some players may not want to reveal their trivial weaknesses to you, so use this with caution!
- How valid are the opinions of the American Film Institute?
- How many EGOT winners can you name?
- If you could change a best picture winner title into a “porno” title, what would it be?
- How do you feel about “progressive” mystery rounds? What about “put these in order” questions?
- Who would win in a trivia battle royale between Ken Jennings and James Holzhauer?
- If Jeopardy! producers asked you to find some way to “take out” James Holzhauer in a non-violent way, how would you go about it? How about if you WERE allowed to resort to violence?
- In your fantasy world, what’s the appropriate punishment for a trivia player being caught using their phone to cheat?
- When’s the last time you saw a player using their phone to cheat during a game? What did you do about it?
- If there was one category you could pick to be permanently banned from trivia games, what would it be – and why?
- What’s the farthest you’ve ever driven to play a trivia game or tournament? Where was it?