A snowstorm was threatening outdoor activities such as getting into a car and driving somewhere on a recent Thursday evening, so we stayed indoors and tried our luck at a virtual Stump! trivia game hosted by Colorado-based host Deana. Our strategy of wagering zero on a final question in an “iffy” category (Book to Movie) did not pan out as well as it did in a game a few nights before that. Spin the wheel? Mama said there would be games like this? It was an hour of entertainment to say the least!
Here were our questions:
1) Coins – Which U.S. coin that has been minted in its current design since 1946 is the thinnest in circulation, with a thickness of only 1.35 millimeters?
2) TV Hosts – Aisha Tyler has served as the host of what comedy TV show since 2013, when it was revived on The CW? Thank you Facebook host clue, would not have known this answer without it.
3) Brothers – What director has cast his younger brother, Clint, in a number of films that he has directed, including Splash, Cocoon, and Apollo 13? He went upstairs never to be seen again (that was a Happy Days joke that maybe three of you might get).
4) Culture – In the 1920s and 1930s, what intellectual and cultural revival of African American art, music, and literature was centered in a particular New York City neighborhood from which it gets its name? This was also a FB host clue that we only learned later was a FB host clue, but we managed to get it.
1) Government – Government What justice on the U.S. Supreme Court had a son who served as U.S. secretary of labor from 2019-2021? Miss.
2) Duos – Audio clue of song by the Black Keys. We were hoping the “duos” song would involve a duo we could name, but no such luck.
3) Graphic Novels – What graphic novel series written by Alan Moore follows a title character who is an anarchist revolutionary wearing a Guy Fawkes mask?
NERD POINT: Who plays the title character in the film?
We try to watch this movie every year around Guy Fawkes’ Day. It must’ve been so easy to find a stunt double for “V,” whom (almost) always appeared masked and fully clothed. Clearly I think about stunt doubles too much sometimes, perhaps that comes from me secretly hoping that legendary stuntman Hal Needham was a relative!
8) NFL Teams – Which NFL team was the first to appear in three consecutive Super Bowls, losing to Dallas, before defeating Washington and Minnesota? Nope.
Mystery Two Schools
Final – Book to TV
We both put in our votes of no confidence on our knowledge of this category, so we wagered zero.
What 1990s TV show based on a book series was continued on Netflix from 2017-2020, with the words “Rides Again” added to the title?
It wasn’t “Herbie.” I think we may have moved up a tad with our conservative wager, but I don’t really know for sure. As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, Antonin Scalia!