Just a couple of us played under the name “Is that hair gel?” in a Sporcle Live virtual game recently about ’90s movies!
Some of you might get this ’90s movie reference we made with the team name, but if you didn’t, well then you’ll just have to watch There’s Something About Mary.
We didn’t actually have any questions about There’s Something About Mary, though we did blow (see what I did there) a question about Titanic, one of the Toy Story movies (we won’t say which one and give away the answer) and that one speech that one guy gave in Independence Day. We did get the final question about sleeper hits correct and as a shocker to us, NO OTHER TEAMS GOT IT RIGHT. Yeah, what a twist, right? And I won’t say anything more about that, but here are the questions:
1) Titanic – In Titanic, what is the name of Rose’s arrogant fiancé who was portrayed by Billy Zane? No idea, miss.
2) Future Roles – Whose performances in the 1994 film Leon: The Professional and the 1996 film Beautiful Girls landed her a role in the highest grossing film of 1999 and second highest grossing film of the decade? Gawd that director is so pervy…
3) Jurassic Park – Who played the role of Dr. Ellie Sattler in Jurassic Park?
4) Speeches – In Independence Day, when President Whitmore gives his speech to the fighter pilots, what word does he say should “have new meaning for all of us today?” Miss.
5) Forrest Gump – When Bubba is telling of all the ways you can eat/prepare shrimp in Forrest Gump, which of the following is NOT one of the ways he mentions?
A) Pineapple Shrimp B) Lemon Shrimp C) Shrimp Salad D) Shrimp and Grits E) Shrimp and Potatoes
6) Chris Farley – What 1997 film features Chris Farley playing a character named Haru?
7) Book to Movie – Winona Ryder, Kirsten Dunst, and Claire Danes all appear in what 1994 film, which was adapted from a 19th century novel?
8) Sharing Names – What 1990 film starring Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen as troublemaking garbagemen shares its title with the name of a band led by singer Colin Hay?
9) Bad Movies – Director Paul Verhoeven directed what 1995 film, for which he “won” the Razzie Award for Worst Director? He became the first person to accept a Razzie Award in person at the ceremony.
10) Real Life Portrayals – What real-life person and title character is portrayed by Robert Downey Jr. in 1992 film? After we got this question, I mentioned attempting to read a biography and watch a movie about this man but with both the movie and the book, I got bored with the guy’s womanizing. Though I was entranced by the guy’s squalor filled childhood in England – one of his anecdotes even inspired that one creepy X Files episodes involving the inbreeders (and that is the truth)!
Mystery – Animated Movies
Name the 1990s animated film based on the year it was released and a selection of its voice cast.
M1. 1992: Scott Weinger, Gilbert Gottfried, and Linda Larkin
M2. 1999: Joan Cusack, Kelsey Grammer, and Wallace Shawn
M3. 1998: Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, and Hayden Panettiere
M4. 1999: Tony Goldwyn, Minnie Driver, and Glenn Close
Missed #2. And to hedge our bets, we put the same guess for #2 and #4 and got that guess correct on #2. Better than putting in a blank answer! Final Category – Sleeper Hits
Proving to be a sleeper hit, what film was not even mentioned In Entertainment Weekly’s 134 film Summer Movie Preview of 1999, however, it ended up being one of the ten highest grossing films of the entire decade?
Here’s how that went down: I said, “If I had to guess, the answer is (blank).” And in an unusual plot twist involving people on my trivia team (LOL), my trivia partner said “I like it!” Moved up from third to first. Woot? As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, you dead people you!