Today’s question set is based on categories from a “Star Trek” theme night in February, 2019! I’m keeping the categories the same – and the questions may have something to do about “Star Trek” – or maybe they won’t. Whatever the case, it will be nice to have a break from writing questions about sportsball, modern music, and flags. GOD do I hate flags questions!
Also, I’m going to throw in enough “gimme” questions so that even the non science fiction nerds might know some answers…
1. Space Stations – On what TV series did the events revolve around Armistice Station?
2. Space Jumps – Kirk and other Enterprise crew members attempt a space jump onto a Romulan platform placed for what purpose in the 2009 Star Trek film directed by J.J. Abrams? Bonus point – what planet were the Romulans attempting to destroy with the platform?
3. Quotes – “Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape,” is a quote from what movie (need only mention the franchise not the specific film).
4. Traitors – American military officer Benedict Arnold is associated with what war?
5. Breaking the Rules – When Kirk was a student at Starfleet Academy, he cheated to win what “unwinnable” simulation created by Spock with a Japanese name?
6. Time Travel – What 1981 fantasy film directed by Terry Gilliam featured Sean Connery, Shelley Duvall and a horde of diminutive actors?
7. Sidekicks – What is the name of Han Solo’s tall furry sidekick?
8. Feeling Good – Astrologically speaking, which of the planets in the Earth’s solar system is associated with the principles of harmony, beauty, refinement, affections, and the urge to sympathize and unite with others?
9. Relics – Two tablets containing what famous words are encased in the Ark of the Covenant?
10. Captains – What egotistical captain’s ship is called “The Nimbus” on the animated series “Futurama?”
Mystery – Quotes – Identify the science fiction/fantasy films in which you’d hear the following quotes – please be specific if film is part of a franchise you must have the right film to get the answer correct:
M1 – “What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you… and to hear the lamentation of their women.”
M2 – “The needs of the many outweigh … the needs of the few… Or the one.”
M3 – “I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.”
M4 – “Get away from her, you bitch!”
1. Heroes – Actor Sam Jones plays what flamboyant hero in a 1980 “space opera” film?
2. Movie Music – Identify the movie soundtrack which was NOT composed by Basil Poledouris – multiple choice Dragonheart, The Hunt for Red October, Red Dawn or Robocop (1987)?
3. Parks and Rec – What U.S. national park was used as a filming location for Tatooine scenes in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope – in addition to landscape in the country of Tunisia?
4. Names – What is Ripley’s first name in the Alien series of films?
5. Quotes – What science fiction writer was famously quoted as saying, “I don’t believe in astrology; I’m a Sagittarius and we’re skeptical?”
6. Stayin’ Alive – What disco band recorded the song “Stayin’ Alive?” Free points, everyone!
7. Identities – What are the two characters played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1990 film Total Recall – and by Colin Farrell in the horrible and unnecessary reboot released in 2012?
8. Androids – What is the name of the robot voiced by actor Alan Tudyk in the 2004 film I Robot?
9. Famous Couples – Name both actors playing C-3P0 and R2-D2 in the Star Wars series of films? Bonus point, which actor took over playing R2-D2 after 2016, when the original actor died?
10. I Want You For Starfleet – What Starfleet captain encourages Kirk to join Starfleet following a bar fight in the 2009 Star Trek film? This is only a slight rewording of the original question.
Is it bad that I often think men look better when they have bloodied faces? Sign that I MUST be a warrior at heart!
Sorry…no second mystery round for this game…
Final category – Villains
Put the following Star Wars – AND Star Trek – villains in order in which they appear on film from the FIRST time they appeared on film – Khan (as played by Ricardo Montalban), Khan (as played by Benedict Cumberbatch), Nero (played by Eric Bana), V’Ger, Admiral Piett (played by Kenneth Colley), Kylo Ren (played by Adam Driver).