Just to ensure there is a good category mix, all of these categories mirror categories from a previous Sporcle Live game (or are very, very similar). So these aren’t questions involving things “only I would know,” LOL!
1. Til The Cows Come Home – What cow breed typically used for dairy has either a black and white or red and white spotted coat?
2. Celebrations – What specific item associated with St. Patrick’s Day has been presented by the Irish prime minister to the U.S. president annually since 1994 – though the most recent ceremony was canceled due to COVID? The ceremony dates back to 1952 but only became annual beginning in 1994.
3. College Basketball – Had the NCAA men’s basketball finals not been canceled in 2020, they would have taken place in Mercedes-Benz stadium in what southern U.S. city?
4. Fictional Holidays – On what animated series was there an episode involving an annual fall festival called “Cow Days?” Hint – the school’s mascot in this TV series is also a cow.
5. Grammer – (Editor’s note: the original category was “grammar,” but I decided I wanted to ask about Kelsey Grammer instead, LOL, because I mean come on…NOBODY likes grammar questions – do they?) – Give either the X-Men name or “real” name of the character played by Kelsey Grammer in two X-Men movie installments. Bonus point for naming at least one of those movies (be specific).
6. Cooking – What cooking term describes cooking a piece of meat – typically in frying pan or skillet – at a high temperature until a browned crust forms?
7. Presidents – Baseball great Jackie Robinson’s middle name was given to him in honor of what U.S. president?
8. Actors – What actor has received Academy Award nominations for playing characters named Reynolds Woodcock, Daniel Plainview and Gerry Conlon? He won an Oscar for playing one of these characters.
9. Art History – The Empire State Building’s architecture is an example of what art/architectural style?
10. Genres – Within two, in what year was the first Grammy award presented to an artist for best rap performance? Give yourself a bonus point for getting this exactly right – and one more point for knowing which artist won the first award!
Mystery – This Day in History
ON this day in…
M1 – 1989 – What tanker spilled 11 million gallons of oil into Alaska’s Prince William Sound?
M2 – 2016 – Radovan Karadžić, a leader of what Eastern European country was convicted of war crimes – including genocide?
M3 – 2002 – Halle Berry became the first African American woman to win a best leading actress Oscar for her role in what 2001 film?
M4 – 1976 – What member of the Manning football family was born? Brad…you better know this one!
1. Subtitles – Revenge of the Fallen, Extinction and Last Knight are subtitles all associated with what high-grossing film franchise? Bonus point for naming the character that was the focus of this franchise’s most recent installment in 2018. Yes…this question is definitely for Mike!
2. Math – What ancient Ionian Greek philosopher and mathematician – whose name is shared with a geometric theory – was born circa 570 B.C.? This question is for…Kim!
3. Words – Named for a city in Eastern Ireland, what 10-letter word beginning with the letter “D” is sometimes used to describe an all-out brawl? Pssst…it’s one of my all-time favorite words!
4. Records – A standard “single” vinyl record is usually played at a speed of how many rotations per minute?
5. Memes – What “Star Trek” character is the focus of a common meme involving a facepalm?
6. Ingredients – Chicken and what nightshade vegetable are both commonly used in Italian “parmigiana” recipes?
7. Sports Teams – The Purple Cobras were a fictional team in what 2004 sports comedy film?
8. ’60s TV – What TV family lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane?
9. Actors – For what 2004 film did Morgan Freeman win his first Oscar? He won for best supporting actor in this film.
10. Festivals – What annual music and arts festival is held at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California?
Visual Mystery – Name the following dogs from TV/Film:
Final Category – Languages
Name all three official languages of Belgium (English is NOT one of them).