What were YOU doing during the decade of the 1980s? If you were like me, you were rocking out to tunes on your “boom box,” learning the fine art of making mix tapes, and maybe even writing down the Billboard Top 40 songs every single week! Yes, I did that for a spell in the early ’80s (I really, really wish I’d kept the lists – what a time capsule they would be now)!
This question set is the “sequel” to a set I published a few days ago, which you can read here. As is the case with all of the trivia quizzes I post, I don’t pull punches, I don’t treat anyone with kids’ gloves and I assume anyone reading these posts is an advanced placement trivia nerd! I’ll provide answers in the comments, but if you have any love of the game, I KNOW you’ll make your guesses first!
Let’s see how you do on these!
1. Solo Artists – What solo artist, previously a front man for a band, released the albums Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like the Sun in the decade of the 1980s?
2. Axe Men – What famed blues guitarist played guitar on six of the eight tracks on David Bowie’s Let’s Dance album?
3. Band Names – What southern rock band with a state in its name hit #2 on the U.S. charts in 1986 with Keep Your Hands To Yourself? Hint – it’s NOT the Alabama Hot Pockets (do not look up Alabama Hot Pocket…repeat – do not look up Alabama Hot Pocket)!
4. Boy Names – Toni Basil (pictured above) hit #1 on the U.S. charts in 1982 with what one-word single named for a man? Bonus, name both feature films (one released 1969, the other released 1970) in which she appeared with actor Jack Nicholson?
5. Singers – What singer had three Billboard Hot 100 hits with his songs C’est la Vie (#2, 1986), Dominoes (#14, 1987), and Wot’s It to Ya (#10, 1987)?
6. Cover Songs – What band recorded a cover version of Bill Withers’ hit song Lean On Me, which hit #1 on the U.S. charts in 1987?
7. Guitarists – Guitarist Johnny Marr is probably best known for playing with the alternative British band The Smiths. Name one of the other three bands Johnny Marr was a credited member of after leaving The Smiths.
8. Backing Singers – What female singer’s vocals were used in the 1987 Pet Shop Boys single What Have I Done To Deserve This?
9. Live Songs – What is the name of the single Prince “donated” to be used on the We Are the World album after declining to participate in the project? A live version of the song was also used in the Live Aid broadcast in 1985.
10. Stage Names – What is the more popular “stage name” of music producer Mark Ellis – who worked with a variety of artists in the 1980s and 1990s, including Depeche Mode, New Order, nine inch nails, U2, Smashing Pumpkins – among others?
11. Guitarists (part deux) – What was the name of the classically trained rock guitarist (pictured above) whom was best known for his work with Ozzy Osbourne – and was killed in a bizarre accident involving both a tour bus – and an airplane in 1982?
12. Spin-Off Bands – What was the name of the “supergroup” made up of singer Robert Palmer in addition to members of Duran Duran and Chic?
13. Movie Songs – What title song from a James Bond film released in the 1980s is the only single to date to reach #1 on the U.S. charts from a James Bond film?
14. Spin-Off Bands (part deux) – New Order was the band that formed following the suicide of Ian Curtis from Joy Division. What band was formed later out of members of New Order – including Bernard Sumner, whom was a founding member of both New Order and this band?
15. High- Charting Singles – What is the highest-charting single to date for the British band The Clash, hitting #8 on the U.S. charts in 1982? Bonus, what track from The Clash album Combat Rock was sampled by MIA in her 2007 single Paper Planes?
16. Lead Singers – Morten Harket is the lead singer of what Scandinavian pop band?
17. Backing Singers (part deux) – What female singer previously best known for her work with a girl band in the 1960s sang backup vocals on Eddie Money’s 1986 single Take Me Home Tonight?
18. Hit Songs – Name any one of the four singles by singer Belinda Carlisle to reach the top 10 of the U.S. charts between the years 1986 and 1988 (note Leave a Light On was released later and only reached #11).
19. Shared Names – What is the shared name of a band whose highest-charting singles were Lovin’ Every Minute Of It, This Could Be the Night and Hot Girls in Love and a 1985 hit single by Billy Ocean?
20. Lead Vocals – Most of the songs by the band The Cars were sung by lead vocalist Ric Ocasek. Which member of the band – the bassist – sang lead vocals on the #3 hit Cars single Drive?
Mystery Round – Songs with Women’s Names
Given the name of the single and the release year, give the name of the artist/band recording the hit song.
M1 – Pamela, 1988
M2 – Oh Sherrie, 1984
M3 – Angelia, 1989
M4 – Dirty Diana, 1988
Final Category – Concerts
In 1985, what band became the first “Western” pop group to visit and perform in China?