Editor’s note – It’s Sunday, and I had to work today, so I’m not feeling terribly inspired! Thanks to Facebook “memories,” I found this Game of Thrones question set from 2014. Me and my team did not play in this game, the questions were supplied by a player from a Toledo team. I do not know the answers to these questions, have fun trying to answer these!
1. Name the four creatures whose heads appear on the circle in the title card.
2. When Stannis Baratheon threw leeches into the fire containing Gendry’s blood, he speaks the names of three people. Which of the following does he NOT name: Balon Greyjoy, Daenerys Targaryen, Robb Stark, or Joffrey Baratheon?
3. According to Arya’s dancing master Syrio Forel, what is the only things we say to the god of death?
4. Audio clip of Theon exhorting his fellow ironborn to mount a defense. In which structure was that speech delivered?
5. What is King Joffrey’s weapon of choice? He gives Lady Margaery a demonstration in his bed chambers.
6. What is the title of the episode in which the Lannisters ambush and kill members of the Stark family? It shares its name with a well known Lannister song.
7. When King Robert visits the crypt at Winterfell, what item does he place at Lyanna Stark’s tomb?
**First question we missed. We were very confident about the previous six.
8. Name one of the two swords forged from the melted down blade of Ned Stark’s sword Ice.
9. Serving as the new Hand of the King, Ned Stark meets four other servants at the small council: Petyr Baelish, Varys, Grand Maester Pycelle, and who?
10. What gift does Sam give to Gilly before the men of the Night’s Watch leave Craster’s Keep?
During the first round, there was a visual round where we were given pictures of eight characters. We had to identify each character by first name (no nicknames or titles) and also the first name of the character by whose hand the pictured character was killed (this was important as one of the pictures was of Locke). One point for each correct answer for a total of 16 possible. We earned 13. Unfortunately, one of the pictured characters was also a killer and we mixed him up with another character, losing two points in the process.
Mystery Round: Quotes
Given a quote, identify the person to whom the quote is said.
1. When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.
2. You’re no ranger. Here, a man gets what he earns, when he earns it.
3. The next time you raise a hand to me will be the last time you have hands.
4. Sorry about the sapphires.
5. There is only one hell: the one we live in now.
6. If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.
7. I have only loved one woman. Only one, my entire life. Your sister.
8. Your mother, on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed, but I admired her.
**Missed #3 and 6.
Intermission. At this point, the max possible was 79, which one team actually had earned. We were tied for eighth at 73.
1. What does Ned Stark declare is a “woman’s weapon” during a conversation with Varys?
2. Which of the following is NOT a poison named by Pycelle during Tyrion’s trial: wolfsbane, demon’s dance, widow’s blood, or dragon’s flatulence?
3. Audio clip of The Hound. Had to fill in a muted word that appeared multiple times.
4. What name did Robb and Talisa choose for their unborn child?
5. At the end of season three, four of the Stark direwolves still live. Summer, owned by Bran, and Ghost, owned by Jon, are two of them. Name one of the others and its owner.
6. Daenerys Targaryen freed slaves in three cities. Name all three.
**Just couldn’t remember two of them.
7. During the Battle of the Blackwater, what two characters spend time sitting on the Iron Throne?
8. What nickname did Cersei often use when addressing Sansa Stark?
9. Jon Snow presents a sword to his sister Arya before she leaves for King’s Landing. What does he say is the first lesson?
10. Hot Pie takes Arya a loaf of bread shaped like what animal?
The mystery round here was diabolical. Four parts, each containing five images. To earn two points, you had to put the five pictures in chronological order in some way. The first collection of images featured five single name characters. We had to name the character and put them in order of their first appearance. The second collection, we had to give both first and last name and put them in order of first appearance. The third collection were all pictures of Varys, which we had to put in order. The last were pictures of Ned Stark. We earned ZERO.
Despite the 0-fer on the mystery round, we were in eighth heading into the final with a total of 127 points. The teams ahead of us had 139, 138, 133, 132 (2 teams), 131, 130. We were ahead of the next two teams by three.
Final Question: There have been three completed seasons of Game of Thrones. Identify by first and last name two of the three main characters who speak the last line of dialogue for any season and the season in which that character was the last speaker.
**We actually identified all three of them. Unfortunately, we were by no means alone. The top two teams (who were at the top after the first round too) both bet 20 and both got it right.